Good helmet for city madness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

I recently benefited from the community's advice for getting a high quality bike at discount. Unfortunately, a few days ago I got hit by an SUV at a cross-road which did not respect elementary priority rules. Long story short, I am grateful I am alive, with a crushed helmet and a few bruises. I expect stiff neck for a few days and I will go through a couple of diagnostics to make sure feeling and reality are aligned. The driver has (obviously) been very supportive and agreed to pay every medical and nonmedical associated cost.

1) The bike (a Pinnacle Lithium 3) is in good condition (from a visual inspection) apart from the rear wheel having unhinged due to the blow, and one hydraulic brake which feels loose. Is that possible that this is caused by a liquid leaking out? I booked an Evans Silver service to make sure everything is ok. If you advise for substitution/upgrade of any component of stock Lithium 3 Pinnacle, please write it down. In case the engineer finds an issue with the related piece of hardware, the driver confirmed he's happy to pay for replacement/upgrade.

2) Helmet. I owe an unspeakable debt to an unassuming £39 MIIPS FOX helmet (bought at Evans) which likely averted a horror outcome. I would like to replace this with something better, also MIIPS. Advice warmly appreciated in this dimension as well.

Ouch. Hope you've got yourself checked over thoroughly.

Any reasonable helmet will do - the important thing is that it fits well. If the Fox fits and you were happy with the original one, why not simply get another?

My go-to is the Bell Paradox, but not sure they make those anymore.

Unfortunately, a few days ago I got hit by an SUV at a cross-road which did not respect elementary priority rules. Long story short, I am grateful I am alive, with a crushed helmet and a few bruises.
Wow.
I'm glad that you're OK and impressed that you're immediately looking to get back out there. Kudos.

I know little about helmets but I'll throw in that, in my view, the most important thing for being safe in a busy, urban environment is to be alert.

Assume everyone else is an imbecile and you won't go too far wrong. Don't treat them like imbeciles but act like they are.

It's not always possible but I try to look drivers in the eye. It can be a good gauge if they've seen me or not. Never 100% reliable, though.

Best of luck to you.

Oh, if my helmet did such a good job, I'd be reluctant to change it.

Top Bottom