Good helmet for city madness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

choffan

Regular
Hi All,

I recently benefited from the community's advice for getting a high quality bike at discount. Unfortunately, a few days ago I got hit by an SUV at a cross-road which did not respect elementary priority rules. Long story short, I am grateful I am alive, with a crushed helmet and a few bruises. I expect stiff neck for a few days and I will go through a couple of diagnostics to make sure feeling and reality are aligned. The driver has (obviously) been very supportive and agreed to pay every medical and nonmedical associated cost.

1) The bike (a Pinnacle Lithium 3) is in good condition (from a visual inspection) apart from the rear wheel having unhinged due to the blow, and one hydraulic brake which feels loose. Is that possible that this is caused by a liquid leaking out? I booked an Evans Silver service to make sure everything is ok. If you advise for substitution/upgrade of any component of stock Lithium 3 Pinnacle, please write it down. In case the engineer finds an issue with the related piece of hardware, the driver confirmed he's happy to pay for replacement/upgrade.

2) Helmet. I owe an unspeakable debt to an unassuming £39 MIIPS FOX helmet (bought at Evans) which likely averted a horror outcome. I would like to replace this with something better, also MIIPS. Advice warmly appreciated in this dimension as well.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH any lid will do. One that fits is important

Llama

Veteran
Glad to hear your OK despite the incident.

I have a Specialized Align 2, it's MIPS and fitted best when I went to store and tried on lots! As mentioned above, it's the fit that critical!

All the best,

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
Agreed on the fit. I ordered the tactical 4 but at the same time I went at my local Evans and made sure the fit is snug. I have to say, the £39 FOX was amazing.

In terms of protection I don't think any offer more than others once you get over the £9.99 specials !

It's lightness, adjustability, style, that you pay extra for.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a planet X carnac which is great for £16..

Before that a Giro foray which was also good better built than the carnac and slightly heavier.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've still got a crease down the side of my face from an accident in September 2018. It stops where my helmet started. It cost me £9.99 on ebay.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Buy whatever makes you feel safest; feeling safe to get the health benefits of cycling is far more important than the infinitesimal differences between helmets. The difference between an active and a sedentary life on your health is huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom