Good idea from Boston Council - Bike "Pods"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Doesn't look particularly secure, when I saw Pods in the title I was expecting to see the sort of enclosed lockable storage units.

screenman

Legendary Member
I work in Boston often, it is an amazing dry town in more ways than one. For one it does not rain that much, and the other is they have managed to stop all the alcoholics from drinking on the towns benches, yep, you got it right they have pulled up all the nice park and street corner seating.

Recycler

Storage for 12 bikes but, the article says, more are on the way so that 20 bikes will be able to be stored.

For what they are spending there they could probaly have provided perfectly adequate storage for 50 bikes.
The way some Councils spend money is crazy.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
They look better than just a metal rail to lock to. The wheels are kept straight and the plastic moulding gives a little bit of protection from being bumped into by peds not looking where they are going. If you locked it tight to the rail it would make removing the front wheel difficult.

Re the comments about weather protection,a placky bag over the seat does me,bikes dont melt in the rain .

MacB

They look better than just a metal rail to lock to. The wheels are kept straight and the plastic moulding gives a little bit of protection from being bumped into by peds not looking where they are going. If you locked it tight to the rail it would make removing the front wheel difficult.

Re the comments about weather protection,a placky bag over the seat does me,bikes dont melt in the rain .

They are better but for me the real question is would the addition of something like this make me any more likely to lock my bike in a place I didn't previously....the answer's no.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Now, if they had locking devices that were operated by subscriber access keys or cards (something like, for example, the boris bikes) we would be able to ride around without all those cables and D-locks.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
They are better but for me the real question is would the addition of something like this make me any more likely to lock my bike in a place I didn't previously....the answer's no.

Thats true.Unfortunately short of encasing the bike in a metal box they are allways vulnerable to scrotes looking for an easy target to vandalise.

At our local Tescos there are steel bars around the cashpoint outside,not sure if they are to stop ram raiders or what. The camera overlooking the area points down at an angle straight at the bars so I often use those in preference to the provided crappy bike stands in a not very well overlooked corner.One of the problems in supermarkets is being bashed by out of control trolleys pushed by idiots who dont give a $3it anyway.

MacB

Thats true.Unfortunately short of encasing the bike in a metal box they are allways vulnerable to scrotes looking for an easy target to vandalise.

At our local Tescos there are steel bars around the cashpoint outside,not sure if they are to stop ram raiders or what. The camera overlooking the area points down at an angle straight at the bars so I often use those in preference to the provided crappy bike stands in a not very well overlooked corner.One of the problems in supermarkets is being bashed by out of control trolleys pushed by idiots who dont give a $3it anyway.

Agreed and it was the thread title that had me expecting enclosed metal/plastic boxes. We have them outside our local Sainsburys, no prizes for guessing which supermarket I go to on my bike.

Two of my kids go everywhere on their bikes at the moment and they get locked up in all sorts of places. No bike loss yet, though it's expected sometime, but a few acts of random vandalism, the worst being brake cables cut.

Sealed box units would address the casual damage side as well as the anti theft. There was a link on here ages ago for an external bike rack that went up the side of buildings. Sort of on a geared pulley system and a static bike was pedalled to bring a bike down for removal, I rather liked that idea.

Top Bottom