good local bike shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Blimey - this is an old thread!

Anyway - I've had good service from Red Kite in Shirley (so long as you get the right person), prices not too bad, and Scott Cycles in Hall Green (only been once but plan to return after the last visit - very friendly). The Halfords in Sheldon is OK, but I avoid Hawk Cycles on the Cov' Rd.

trickletreat

Veteran
Red Kite in Shirley, another big thumbs up. Have been buying bikes and kit from them for approx. 15 years. The level of service and help are very good and they have always either adjusted or fixed things for me, and if you visit at the right time this has been done for free! even on my trike, which was bought els where. Always buy something when I visit , have services etc carried out there.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
SamNichols said:
If you're ever in Watford, then Cycleopedia are a good option. If they don't have an item in stock, then they'll just recommend trying the web, they give CTC discount (nb: Edinburgh Cycles don't), they don't try and flog you a new bike, and if they take your bike for service and all it needs is a change of cable/tightening, then they'll do it for free.

Another vote for Cyclopedia, I'm often after odd things they don't stock and they order stuff for me. I bought some parts to build up a 'cross bike with a frame I bought elsewhere (S/H) and they built the bike for free. I get my wheels built there. They've fixed stuff for me free a couple of times.

And they give a good discount if you buy stuff regularly too (I'm not entirely sure how this works but I seem to get 12.5% off everything, all the time)

I didn't know about the CTC discount!

garrilla

Bigtallfatbloke said:
This is what I dont understand about LBS's:

What I don't get is LBSs opening hours. I can never get to my LBS - 2 mins around the corner - on a work day as they open 9.30am until 5pm.

OK, they are open on a Sat, but usually I have soooo much to do with the family/house/other hobbies/etc.

I'm sure they'd do better if they did a couple fo nights of late night opening, say to 7.30pm and closed for a couple of mornings or something.

I'd spend much more with my LBS is this was possible. I'd be happy to go in for x-product and if they don't have what I want for it to come a couple of days later if I could collect it. As it is at the moment, It might be two weeks between being able to visit. I can buy something of the web and get it the next day. But like other businesses I'll pay a bit extra and be a bit more patient for a good local service.

Top Bottom