Good luck!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
and admiration to anyone thats commuting by bike over the next couple of days. Just had a look at the forecast - and with those 'severe weather warnings' I reckon it'll be Wednesday at the earliest before I even consider it. Just glad I've got the choice of whether to use the cage or not!

I'm lucky in that I will be off this week, so no need to commute. Of course it would appear that it is the south of the country that will be worst affected.

Take care everyone. If in doubt don't cycle. Gusty wind and heavy traffic don't mix!

dudi

Pff...

bit of wind and rain never hurt anyone.

I'll still be commuting... but probably take the short route (only 3 miles) instead of the usual 10 or 15 mile trip (depending on how much time I have)

davidwalton

gambatte said:
and admiration to anyone thats commuting by bike over the next couple of days. Just had a look at the forecast - and with those 'severe weather warnings' I reckon it'll be Wednesday at the earliest before I even consider it. Just glad I've got the choice of whether to use the cage or not!

With gusts of over 50mph forecast, bike is staying locked up until winds are below 20mph again. Looks like Thursday is the next reasonable day at present. Winds until then are forecast to go over 30mph:sad:

Not been out in the rain on a bike as yet either, EVER. Something I have been avoiding. Done a good job so far, but sure my weather checks will fall foul at some point.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
davidwalton said:
Not been out in the rain on a bike as yet either, EVER. Something I have been avoiding. Done a good job so far, but sure my weather checks will fall foul at some point.

I actually like it, (outside winter and with cycle specific clothes)

'Luckily' out of action after being kicked by a drunken alcoholic female I was arresting on Friday, left knee not working at the moment. I wasn't looking forward to cycling down to Hove into the gale although the return journey would have been pretty rapid!

dudi

so. 18:00 when I leave the office, the met are predicting 38mph winds in Ipswich... and SSW is almost a perfect headwind for me on the long flat, high-ground run home... nice workout...

Luckilly the large hill I climb is quite protected from the wind.

It'll be all over by thursday... and I dare say we're getting off quite lightly over here FFFF.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Im off next week too, must be why the weather's so bad ;) - last time I cycled to work in a 40mph headwind it took me 2.5 hours so if I were going to work tomorrow I'd probably use the car

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
According to the forecast we are not getting it all that bad this time, its been a lot worse ;)

Oh good it is calming down a wee bit at last, the worst I have cycled in this year was 31/01/2008 when the record at Gogarbank showed the wind as WSW 34mph gusting 60mph, fun, fun, fun, not...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its woken me up, and I can't say I'm looking forward to cycling in it later. Trying to think how to alter my route to avoid the more exposed bits - but as I live in one of the higher bits of land in the city thats not going to be easy.

We have already had gusts to 40 mph (and the local weather station is more sheltered than I am).

Top Bottom