Good memories ( and not so good ) of cycling to School.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That brings back memories of the morning milk delivery at primary school - a crate of half pint bottles would be delivered to the classroom and left in front of the hot stove. By break time the bottles would be half warm and half freezing and those that had frozen would have a cone of snowy creamy water pushing up the foil top. I can still remember sucking the thick cream then the milk up a straw, some of it freezing and some warm. That has to be one of my strongest childhood memories.

Similar memories.
I used to be a milk monitor at school - delivering the milk to the class rooms. My overriding memory is that of going to the milk store and the overpowering smell of rancid milk.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That brings back memories of the morning milk delivery at primary school - a crate of half pint bottles would be delivered to the classroom and left in front of the hot stove. By break time the bottles would be half warm and half freezing and those that had frozen would have a cone of snowy creamy water pushing up the foil top. I can still remember sucking the thick cream then the milk up a straw, some of it freezing and some warm. That has to be one of my strongest childhood memories.
Ours arrived in cartons and was always warm. I was initially puzzled as I lived on the opposite side of the valley from the school, up towards the farms so our milk always arrived in a bottle. It was also warm but for an entirely different reason and tasted much different (and better) than the carton stuff.

Similar memories.
I used to be a milk monitor at school - delivering the milk to the class rooms. My overriding memory is that of going to the milk store and the overpowering smell of rancid milk.
yes it never quite seemed like normal milk, like so much school catering.
Of course this is why a certain woman abolished it, saint that she was.

boydj

Legendary Member
I rode a single-speed (not that I knew that's what it was) to school, part-time job, and home again for a couple of years before I became a full-on, parka-wearing, Lambretta-riding mod.

My strongest memory is of coming to, trying to push my bike with the forks bent backwards and the front wheel jammed and bent against the frame, after my satchel had fallen into the front wheel. There was a girl was screaming beside me because I'd taken a considerable amount of skin off the side of my face and looked like a monster from a horror movie.

david k

Hi
We used to tease people who rode to school, spent years picking on them until we realised it was fun and quicker than the bus. We would shout at the from the bus if we caught them.

We were cycling home once and I got a puncture, we kept stopping to pump up the tyre to get another mile when the bus came past, we all hid our faces in our blazers knowing our previous teasing would come back to haunt us. It didn't w

juniorshysheep

We used to do that too - the predominant lock was a grey capsule shaped combination lock with 4 rotating numbered 'barrels' and a length of chain going from one end to the other.

I found a (not very good) picture of the sort of lock - but I don't recall any plastic sleeving on the chain:

View attachment 338540

I was trying to remember if I even locked my bike when I did cycle the 2 miles to school in my Raleigh Burner, you've just jogged the memory, that was exactly it!! I had a newspaper round back then so the Burner saw plenty of action. I foolishly let someone borrow it as they lived slightly further away than me and I haven't seen it since:angry: 30 years later I still haven't given up the hunt for him and the bike...

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the episode i remember best was a load of us riding home from high school, me on a team murray bmx i think, and one chap at the front crashed, causing a chain reaction. my front wheel met my friend's dismounted arse as if it was trying to park itself in a human wheel bender, sending me over the bars. miraculously, we got up and carried on…

_90498854_mediaitem90498851.jpg

My nemesis...Gravel Hill in Poole. Ok its no Mt Ventou but steady climb for a long way as you head from Poole harbour out into the wilds of Dorset...good laff going home though!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I remember those barrel locks. They were very easy to undo if you had the nack.

I, of course didn't have the nack, because I was an uncool lummox. But lots of other, cooler, kids did.

Gixxerman

Guru
I was a very late learner, and only learned to ride a bike when I was 10 or so. All my mates could ride bikes, and I was also left at home as they are went out on rides, so there was some peer pressure. So much so that stabalisers where out of the question as the piss-taking would be unbearable. Any way, my dad or mum (can't remember which now) bought me my first bike which I now had to learn to ride. The bike itself was a small (as I was only ickle and was 14 or so before I started to grow) single speed with small (20 inch?) wheels. I think it was a second hand one from somewhere as we were not well-off. I cannot remember the make or colour. All I can remember, for some reason, is that it had cream grips and very sharp brakes. Learning to ride it consisted of my dad and my uncle (who lived with us) taking turns in wheeling me round and round the block. This went on for what must have been weeks and I still could not ride the bloody thing. So one weekend afternoon I was sat there in the house feeling fed up as I thought that I'd never learn to ride. Then, without warning, something stirred in me. "Bugger it, I'll ride this bike if it bloody kills me", I said to myself. So I got the bike out, got it near the curb cocked the peddle and off I went. I rode it round the block twice with no problems. My dad was aghast. "Bloody hell , all this time wheeling you round and round and you just get on it and ride it." I'm sure he must have felt that I pretended to not know how to ride for some reason as it was all so odd, but I certainly did not. I just decided in my own head that today is the day that I'd learn to ride. Still can't explain it myself. I rode it every spare minute I got after that. So I started riding it to school, which was about 2 miles away, all town roads riding. We had a bikeshed at school, that had what looked like 2 upside down mudgaurds that the wheels fitted in, covered by corrugated iron. I too used to take those barrel locks that most had, crack the combination (which was easy if you knew how) and swap then round / change the combination. This used to culminate with the groundsman / caretaker having to come out with his bolt croppers to release the bikes. The old steed lasted me several years until I eventually outgrew it. I then got a 5 speed racer for Christmas. This was bought from "Binks for Bikes" in Lincoln, and paid for on the nerver-never. It was brought home many days before the big day and sat on the upstairs landing, but I wasn't allowed it until Christmas day. I would sit on it and even try riding it on the landing and trying to change gears as I had never had a deraileur before. Again I cannot remember the make or colour. I did repaint it Daytona yellow some years later as was all the rage at the time. As said on here, water bottles and puncture repair kits were never carried. I do recall having a pump, but never recall having to use it in anger as the p*uncture fairy never struck. Then at 16, I got a Yamaha FS1E (Fizzie) moped (brown with crome side panels no less - reg number LJV453R) for which I paid the princely some of £250 and push bikes were forgotten. I started cycling again in my mid 40's, mostly due to keping myself fit to prolong my football playing days. It worked. I'm 52 and still playing twice a week. I now have 4 bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Pushing a kid around holding the saddle is the very worst way to teach them. Best is to remove the pedals, drop the saddle and let them scoot it along; they'll soon be asking for the pedals back.

Many of us lost interest in pedalling when motorbikes came along; I've never been as unfit as when I was a motorcyclist as you never had to walk anywhere. Many, me included, then got back into cycling when mountain bikes made cycling easier.

wonderdog

HALF pint bottles??? For some reason, most Australia states had one third pints. Invariably the crows and magpies would find the bottles first and pierce the foil caps. Smirking birds with milk moustaches.

Top Bottom