Good old Republic of Ireland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just got back from spending 3 great days with my brother near Cong, in the county of Mayo. The house he rented was big , on the side of a hill with wonderful views across the lake. The four of us ( his wife, mine and both of us) had a great time touring round Connemara and in the pub in the evening with fantastic Irish singing and music. The people there were so friendly and cheerful. The only downside was this morning when he drove us back to Garway to catch the train to Dublin for the ferry back to Holyhead. His 18 months old Mercedes broke down 10 miles from Garway. The car has only done 30000 miles and the turbo has already blown! Knowing my brother, this is the last time he will buy a German car and he will probably change it when he gets home. In the meantime, he is hoping it will be repaired before he goes home next Saturday.
As for us, we were lucky that a very kind Polish man who lived outside where the car broke down, offered to take us to the station.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just got back from spending 3 great days with my brother near Cong, in the county of Mayo. The house he rented was big , on the side of a hill with wonderful views across the lake. The four of us ( his wife, mine and both of us) had a great time touring round Connemara and in the pub in the evening with fantastic Irish singing and music. The people there were so friendly and cheerful. The only downside was this morning when he drove us back to Garway to catch the train to Dublin for the ferry back to Holyhead. His 18 months old Mercedes broke down 10 miles from Garway. The car has only done 30000 miles and the turbo has already blown! Knowing my brother, this is the last time he will buy a German car and he will probably change it when he gets home. In the meantime, he is hoping it will be repaired before he goes home next Saturday.
As for us, we were lucky that a very kind Polish man who lived outside where the car broke down, offered to take us to the station.
Where's Garway?

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Same but different..
A mate of mine was on a fishing holiday in the ROI.. Sadly, the shed they put their fishing kit in was burgled. Not broken in to, as not was't locked.

The local Gardaí were amazed when they investigated the scene of the crime. It was such a rare occurrence that it was issued the crime number of 3!!!

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Where was The Quiet Man filmed?
Cong. We were staying about 15 kms from there. Pretty little village. Photos to follow soon.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5243194, member: 45"]Once got married to a priest in Castlebar.[/QUOTE]
You're married to a priest?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

"The quiet man". Filmed in 1951.
SAM_2178.JPG