Good on you Zoe Ball

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Chapeau Zoe. Fantastic stuff!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it was a very good effort.

But a big NO to the gears that she was using on those hills. Maybe the pedal choice wasn't ideal either - she struggled to unclip once she realised she had ground to a halt.

TVC

Yes, it was a very good effort.

But a big NO to the gears that she was using on those hills. Maybe the pedal choice wasn't ideal either - she struggled to unclip once she realised she had ground to a halt.
Perhaps the cycleing journey was just a way to get the message across and we should not criticise her technique and gear choices. Our strength, equipment, ability come from years of experience, plus, the BBC cut the whole thing for impact and didn't show the miles of downhill with a following wind. This wasn't about cycling, it was about raising the awareness of mental illness and suicide in middle aged men.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Perhaps the cycleing journey was just a way to get the message across and we should not criticise her technique and gear choices. Our strength, equipment, ability come from years of experience, plus, the BBC cut the whole thing for impact and didn't show the miles of downhill with a following wind. This wasn't about cycling, it was about raising the awareness of mental illness and suicide in middle aged men.
I wasn't criticising her, rather the choices that other people seemed to have made for her. It looked like she was presented with a bike and just got on with it.

Fortunately she didn't seem to be hurt in the falls that we saw but I did notice in one scene that she seemed to have stitches in her chin which she didn't have earlier on so I suspect that she had at least one nasty fall which they didn't show.

I think the programme did do a good job raising awareness and funds.

Reactions: TVC

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Watched it and also thought cleats were un-necessary. There was the same insistence for the newbie riders on Tour de Celeb last year; not sure I understand this obsession with doing it 'professionally'.

Otherwise, for various reasons, I found the interviews to be very thought-provoking. Bravo ZB.

PS @johnnyb47 Are you her Dad?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This wasn't about cycling, it was about raising the awareness of mental illness and suicide in middle aged men.

And it bought that home to me so we should all say well done to Zoe Ball for doing it

I never knew more men suffered from depression compared to women but hen i hadn't even thought about the the ratio's

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And it bought that home to me so we should all say well done to Zoe Ball for doing it

I never knew more men suffered from depression compared to women but hen i hadn't even thought about the the ratio's

The most common cause of death in the UK for men aged 20-50 is suicide.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
The most common cause of death in the UK for men aged 20-50 is suicide.

The issue with this, is that men (whether they admit it or not) feel trapped within society's stupid mindset that men have to be tough and not show emotion and all that BS. I think it's horrific that men especially feel they cannot express themselves through fear of ridicule or being accused of weak.

I know the Royal Family amongst other celebrities (affected by depression,domestic violence and rape) kickstarted a campaign aimed to get men to speak out etc. It is interesting to note also that domestic abuse/rape stats for men are actually higher than publicized due to the potential backlash they may face etc. My boyfriend is quite open and honest etc. I told him when we got together not to keep things from me - don't bottle things up. He is getting better but does struggle opening up to me.

A very close friend of mine took his life middle of last year - still doesn't feel real. I still have his messages, he was a victim of domestic abuse and depression, but would not seek help. It broke my heart and I hate him for what he did to himself and his friends and family - I guess people in that state of mind do not think necessarily think about the impact of their actions??

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

A very close friend of mine took his life middle of last year - still doesn't feel real. I still have his messages, he was a victim of domestic abuse and depression, but would not seek help. It broke my heart and I hate him for what he did to himself and his friends and family - I guess people in that state of mind do not think necessarily think about the impact of their actions??

Then you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Your ire should be addressed to the person/people, who either started the chain of events or accelerated them.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Your ire should be addressed to the person/people, who either started the chain of events or accelerated them.
Zoe Ball’s Boyfriend was depressed due to falling victim to a financial scam.
It just shows the impact these things have, and the scammer wont even have it on his conscience.
The scammers cause so much pain.

Top Bottom