Good places to test & buy kids bikes in the North?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 10yr old daughter will be ready for a new bike this xmas. She's currently mulling over the options of a BMX, hybrid or a larger version of what she has now (classic town/dutch bike with wide handlebars, front basket etc).

I've tried to explain the relative pros and cons of each, but really I'd like her to be able to test ride a few and get a proper feel for them before buying.

Thinking of our local bike shops in Hull though, they have a limited choice of bikes in her size and are all situated on main roads.

I'm thinking of getting a date in the calendar for us to visit a few shops and wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere with decent bike shops that stock a good range of different types of kids' bikes, and encourage (and have suitable nearby space for) kids to take a test ride.

Was wondering about York or Sheffield maybe? Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester are also options, as is anywhere else within a couple of hours from Hull.

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycle Republic?
Evans?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
York has a good number of cycle shops. Someone like @User10119 might know more about which ones are any good.

Sheffield has a Decathlon, and some of the big chains. There are a couple decent LBSs too I think, but I was still riding a Halfords Apollo when I left the area so I don't know any of them.

tom73

Guru
Not sure but you can check Sheffield has two shop's are near each other both near to outdoor community sports facility. It has a free to use open running track or use one of the auto turf pitchers. They may let you have a spin round it. Visited both last week staff really nice maybe worth a trip if only for a some advice and sizing.

Je James has a shop on Bramall Lane
0114 2550557
Just down the road is the other one (Just walk round he corner of JE James and you can see the Giant shop)
A Giant dealers on Queens Road 0114 3863309

tom73

Guru
That's true you can ride round the shop at Decathlon.

Cycle heaven at York station limited range and service was a bit off last time I called for a quick bike repair on a day in York. Not sure about the main shop.

Forgot to add Giant do have a small carpark too.

Oh and come to think of it the Trek shop out at foxvalley. They let you try them on the out the way really quite on site service road. Plus they are really friendly and helpful. We have used them a few times. Mrs 73 got her bike from them she loved testing it out you can ride away as long you want.

https://www.foxvalleysheffield.co.uk/stores/trek-bikes

Another I have used is in Pickering so maybe pushing it ? Good one though and let's you test out the back of shop.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Thanks for the pointers so far.

Cycle heaven in York is a bit out of town I think. No idea what they have for kids.
I'm a big fan of CH, got one of my bikes from them (albeit their old shop on Bishy Rd) and I know the new shop is big and easy to get to, but like you I have no idea what their kids' range is like.

York has a good number of cycle shops. Someone like @User10119 might know more about which ones are any good.
I always enjoy a day out in York so if @User10119 or anyone else can give more info on the kids' range at Cycle Heaven and/or other York shops that'd be great.

Another I have used is in Pickering so maybe pushing it ?
My daughter loves Pickering, so a trip there is not out of the question, though I was thinking more of heading to a city where we could visit 3 or 4 shops in a day, rather tha putting all our eggs in one basket. Is this the shop you meant? if so the options for kids looks a bit limited if website is anything to go by - just Frog hybrids as far as I can see
http://www.bigbearbikes.co.uk/

J E James Rotherham had an entire kid's section last time I was there. The staff can be a bit harassed but it's a good large shop.
Thanks for the tip. We could definitely get to that one as well as some in Sheffield in the same day, assuming it's worth it (i.e if the Rotherham branch has lots more stock than the Sheffield shop).

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Not sure but you can check Sheffield has two shop's are near each other both near to outdoor community sports facility. It has a free to use open running track or use one of the auto turf pitchers. They may let you have a spin round it. Visited both last week staff really nice maybe worth a trip if only for a some advice and sizing.

This sounds good but not sure where you might mean. Was it Fir Vale Sports centre maybe? Can you remember the name of either bike shop or road they were on?

Top Bottom