Good price for a spirit burner and also Trangia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
andrew_s said:
This version do you then? I dare say a 1L pot would nest nicely inside the 1.5L pot. In stock too.
Thinking on it, nesting the 1L pot inside wouldn't work.
It would be too small a diameter to sit on the rim of the cone and would drop through onto the burner inside.

zacklaws said:
... and also a Trangia 25, for £33.99 which is a good price. I have not looked too deep into the website but I presume VAT is on those prices and there is no other twists to the prices

I would be checking with their customer services on which trangia it actually is. Trangia have (recently) changed to the UL models with are significantly lighter. The literature on the Clas Ohlson site gives the weight at 1,110g where as the newer version of exactly the same thing is only 865g. This might not sound like much, but we have just replaced our old 1-2 man trangia 27 becuase of the new version being much lighter when you have the 2 side my side. (My old one is 25 years or more old and did not take a gas burner which we use in colder weather, buying a new lower windsheild showed us the difference instantly.)

willem

Über Member
I love my Trangia, but it is important to realize that there are different versions. This seems to be the older heavier series, rather than the new UL one. Also, you have a choice of an ordinary aluminium surface, or a hard anodized surface, which last longer, is easier to clean, and does not stick nearly so much (for even better non stick you can opt for the heavier nonstick frying pan, of course). I think a ketle is superfluous. I reality, the Trangia 27 is a solo stove, and the Trangia 25 a stove for two. The pots and pan that come with it have much better heat dispersal characteristics than titanium pots, and the UL ones are about as light, at 80 grams each for the 27 pots and frying pan.
The Caldera Cone is in a different league, It is much lighter, but far less suitable for frying. It is system to heat prepacked meals for those who take their prepared food with them on relatively short mountain treks, as many Americans do. If you are cycling in Europe, you want to be able to cook fresh food, and that involves frying fish, meat etc. I know of no better stove for that than the Trangia, and fuel is easy to get, but it is a bit heavier. I wish they would shave another 100-150 grams off it, by using titanium for the pot supports, the burner (like the new Evernew burner, but with a lid) and the gripper. The Clikstand is another example of an excellent integrated stove, and it falls somewhere in between the Trangia and the Caldera cone, both in weight and in usability.
The other Trangia like stove they advertise is a Chinese version of a stove once made by Optimus. This version is relatively heavy and not very nicely made, but it has some interesting design features. I once bought one but returned it, both because of the weight and because of the shoddy quality. But for 10 pounds it is a bargain for a stove for two.
Willem

andym

Über Member
If you are cycling in Europe, you want to be able to cook fresh food, and that involves frying fish, meat etc.

It does depend a bit on what you eat. If you really want to fry fresh whole fish, steaks, or eggs, or make an omelette then the caldera cone is not for you. But you can of course, boil water for coffee or tea, make porridge, sauté vegetables for stews, cook fresh or prepared soups, cook rice/couscous etc, cook risotto cook pasta, boil potatoes/carrots ... etc etc etc. So for an awful lot of people it's a pretty viable alternative (although yes it does depend on the size and shape of the post - very small pots obviously limit your choices further).

willem

Über Member
And it is not quite Caldera Cone problem as such. It is a pot and pan problem. If you want to use both a cooking pot and a frying pan on the Caldera Cone, these need to be of equal diameter. Since frying pans need to be relatively wide (I think the 18 cm of the Trangia 27 is a practical minimum), the cooking pot also needs to be this wide, and therefore be quite shallow. Now, that is in fact quite a good idea since it uses the burner's heat more efficiently (wide pots really are more efficient), but it goes against the modern fashion of tall and narrow pots. So I never found any combination of existing pots and pans that would work. Finally, I would prefer to have aluminium pots and pans, since these disperse heat more effectively, do not burn your food quite so easily, and are are more fuel efficient. Light alumium pans such as the Trangia UL series are virtualy the same weight as titanium pans. So if Traildesign would manufacture a set of useful pots and pans, I will get a Cone.
Willem

Top Bottom