Good route, Berkhamsted to Hitchin/Stevenage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm looking for a good route from Berkhamsted station to the Hitchin/Stevenage area (and after that I go on towards Cambridge, but I know my way from there).

I want a fairly scenic route that will give me a feel of the Chiltern scenery thereabouts. I don't mind adding a few extra miles to get the nicest scenery, but don't want to go all round the houses. Hills are good.

My main dilemmas are whether to head south of Luton, roughly Markyate and Kings Walden, or north via Dunstable and towards Barton-le-Clay - or just lump it and head straight through Luton.

Any ideas?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@TheDoctor
@jayonabike

These guys should be able to help you out.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Berko - Ashridge - Little Gaddesden - Gaddesden Row - Redbourn - Harpenden - Wheathampstead - Codicote - Old Knebworth - Stevenage. A few hills, nice country lanes and B roads through some small towns and villages.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Berko - Ashridge - Little Gaddesden - Gaddesden Row - Redbourn - Harpenden - Wheathampstead - Codicote - Old Knebworth - Stevenage. A few hills, nice country lanes and B roads through some small towns and villages.

OK, thanks for the tip. I'm off there this afternoon, part of an indirect journey home from the Midlands.

akb

Veteran
I would avoid Luton at all costs. Unless you plan on riding 4am. Its a biatch on the roads all day, and most people that use the roads are nobbers. I wouldnt even ride through Luton.

@jayonabike suggestion seems like the best route.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I used parts of @jayonabike's route, starting off out of Berko through the Ashridge estate, then got distracted by Ivinghoe hill and the views along the Chiltern escarpment. Went down there, and back up to Whipsnade, and skirted south of Luton at Flamstead. All that was the best part of the route, and I then carried on through Kimpton to Knebworth.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Top Bottom