Good times for a ten mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Best time for a 10 mile route is my normal commute, with panniers etc 454 feet of ascent is 32 minutes.

My club has 2 groups, the chain gang which averages 20 mph ( meaning more like 24 mph on the flat ) and the steady group which averages 17 mph ( so 19 or so on the flat )

I go for the steady group as it is enough for me after a weeks commuting and i go out for a social ride rather than hammering it .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Terrain and weather plays a massive part, so don't get too hung up on your times/speed. Enjoy riding and push yourself and you will get fit and ride faster the more miles you do.

Orange

I'm new to anything other than pootling around town but have done three 15 mile loops in the last week (several hills but descents too - plus one traffic lights and a busy dual carriageway to cross) and it's taken me 71, 66 and 68 minutes.

That's only 12-13 mph, so the OP's times seem good to me.

endoman

Been twice to club " spiralling" it's a ten mile route, 450 feet ish of climb, Fastest time so far for quicker second lap is just over 31 minutes. I can chat at that most of the way. I'm hoping with a bit of effort to dip under 30. There is a faster group but at the moment they are beyond me!

fenfirsttimer

Compared to me you are doing brilliantly ^_^

I did 11 miles tonight in 65 mins...... And I don't have hills!

My excuses :laugh: :-

Am over 50 and haven't cycled for 25 years.
It is on a MTB ( waiting for faster tyres)
Stopped for a old labrador wobblying (the dog not me!) down middle of lane and I didn't want to hit him
Stopped to let ducks cross the road.
Stopped to avoid getting hit by two VERY large tractor type things.
Lots of head wind for the first time

However I am only cycling for fun and fitness but enjoy challenging myself so that is a target I will try and beat over the next few weeks.
The bit I was particularly proud of is I did get up to 16 mph for a short time - when I first went out it was way slower - may be it was just the back wind helping me?

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Hi Rach.

Been cycling for all of 2 weeks and can only manage 50 mins for 10 miles. I'm sure it'll come down as I get fitter and shed some weight, although I can't drop anything of my age :sad:. Well done Fenfirsttimer. Someone after my own heart.

Paul

screenman

Legendary Member
There are guys that have done sub 18 minute 10's and a lot of 10's are won each week with sub 20 minutes. Personally I feel sub 30 minutes should make you feel pleased with yourself, but cycling is not just about being fast, it is about enjoying the moment and the benefit it brings.

My best 23 minutes 21 seconds for a 10.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I did 11 miles tonight in 65 mins...... And I don't have hills!

No hills here either to speak of, but the wind plays a big factor in journey times for me. My commute's 10 miles and I've done it in 37 minutes once with laden panniers (lap top, work files, clobber, tools etc). My average I think is 46 minutes and it has been nearly an hour with a strong headwind.

Luckily, there's a weather vane on the farm across the field from our house - I can see it from the bedroom, If he's pointing to the SW I need to get a move on, if he's pointing the other way, I get a bit more of a lie in!

fenfirsttimer

This morning I went for a short (4 mile) trip to the Post office etc and overnight they had resurfaced some of the lane with a top dressing of chippings - I found that really hard going (6- 7 mph) but once on the smooth main road I was sailing along at 10mph so I have just found out first hand what an amazing difference the road surface can make!

cloggsy

Boardmanist
overnight they had resurfaced some of the lane with a top dressing of chippings - I found that really hard going (6- 7 mph) but once on the smooth main road I was sailing along at 10mph so I have just found out first hand what an amazing difference the road surface can make!

This method of re-surfacing is awful isn't it? Why do councils persist in using this method? They don't even sore the surface out underneath first, it just hides a multitude of sins and makes some roads unridable :sad:

Furkz

Über Member
i done 11 miles in 50mins with one steep hill and a few small short hills, way back i did it in 44mins. that was my 1st time i did 10 miles too or 20 miles in one day

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
My triathlon club runs an informal 10 mile TT which is a 4-lap afair with a hill in the lap. I first did it on a cheap hard-tail MTB with slicks in 35 minutes. On Tuesday I set a new PB of 28:58 on a time trial bike. After doing that I'm good for nothing but gasping for breath for several minutes... I believe the woman's record (I'm female) for the course is 26:xx.

Hope that helps. I've never ridden with a cycling club (I'm a triathlete, see?) ;)

26 minutes for a 10 miler is bloody red hot for anyone IMO. I wish I was that quick

preacher

Hi all I just timed and completed a 10 mile bike ride I am 67 and it took me 1 hour and 10 min
looking forward to doing better. This weekend will do another 10 mile ride, swim a mile and walk 3 miles. hope to finish dont care about time

Last edited:
Top Bottom