Good times for a ten mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rach

Please can anyone tell me your times for a 10 mile bike ride the route I go has 4 moderate hills and the rest is flat along the by pass. I go out by my self so not sure what a good time is. I am doing it in 43 mins at the min.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
43 mins isn't bad that's 14 mph

30 minutes would be a good target if your fairly quick. 20 mph average

17mph would give you 35 minutes

Time trials (racing) good TT'ers will do 10 miles in 22/23 minutes ! (Or faster).

WychwoodTrev

Sounds about right but depends on how long you have been cycling and what type og bike you ride. I do a 10 miler with my step daughter a couple of decent climbs but a couple of decent decents and we can do it in 36 mins or up to 42 mins. With time and practice you will get quicker but dont dwell on timed and speed just enjoy your ride fun fun fun is what you want because it dont matter how good or how fast you are if you are not enjoying you wont keep doing it. Saying that I do like to time some of my rides to see how I am improving.

OP
OP
R

Rach

Thank you for the reply I will keep trying to get my time down I would like to join a club as I want some company. The slight problem being the local club average 17 -18 think I will die at that pace So working on getting my times down. I managed 30 mile in 2hr 50 mins but went with two other people. I am looking to increase the ride as the furthest I have been is 40 mile

OP
OP
R

Rach

Entry level claud butler road bike I have at the min been cycling since feb this year

straas

Matt
14-16mph by yourself is around 17-18 with a group, maybe more depending on conditions. I was a bit worried before going out with a club but it is a LOT easier. I can go out and do 60 miles with a group and feel good afterwards, but yesterday I did a solo 45 miles and was almost a broken man at the end of it.

My best 10 miler is 29 mins, it wouldn't worry any TTers but I'm happy enough with it.

I don't think my current club says but my last used 15mph as a bench mark, if you can manage that on your own you'll easily go 2-3mph faster in a group.
I've never actually done a 10 mile TT myself but looking at results there seem to be the odd superhuman doing it in around 23mins :ohmy: but the majority fall in the bracket of 26-30 minutes and a few are just over that.

Go out with the club and try it, who cares if you can't keep up on your first time?

Riding in numbers is a lot easier to ride faster, not only will it affect your mentality to keep on pedalling but also wind resistance, cycling technique and ensure you have dominance on the road.

fimm

Veteran
My triathlon club runs an informal 10 mile TT which is a 4-lap afair with a hill in the lap. I first did it on a cheap hard-tail MTB with slicks in 35 minutes. On Tuesday I set a new PB of 28:58 on a time trial bike. After doing that I'm good for nothing but gasping for breath for several minutes... I believe the woman's record (I'm female) for the course is 26:xx.

Hope that helps. I've never ridden with a cycling club (I'm a triathlete, see?) ;)

kedab

Veteran
having only been regularly cycling as an adult for the past 3 months or so, i'd say it def' depends on your experience and general fitness.

3 months ago i reckon 10 miles of undulating road (which is what my commute generally is if i doubled it) would have taken me close to an hour - i could do i the same now in 35 minutes if i gave it some welly all the way - and this an ex-smoker and ex-drinker talking :rolleyes:

I drink alcohol and eat fast foods regularly and a comfortable speed for me is about 18 mph on flat surface and decent conditions. Dont know if thats bad for a 24 year old that cycles often. What should I be able to do without really pushing myself?

OP
OP
R

Rach

Thank you for all your nice replys. I think I am going to practice for a few more weeks then give it ago with a club if they are two fast I will have to drop out and peddle back lol. Then go practice a bit more. I am going out Tom morning before I start work i only have time to do a short ride so i have decided to give it ago and beat my time I find it quite fun to be fair then on Sunday I have more time so can go a bit further. I just find it hard to gage if I am doing well or not as I go by myself as everyone I know would rather drive than go by bike lol. Thanks rachx

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I drink alcohol and eat fast foods regularly and a comfortable speed for me is about 18 mph on flat surface and decent conditions. Dont know if thats bad for a 24 year old that cycles often. What should I be able to do without really pushing myself?

Is that cruising speed or the avg speed, as per your computer?

OP
OP
R

Rach

I check watch and the app on my phone I use that not got a computer yet not found the time to go shopping yet

Top Bottom