Good times for a ten mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

My best is 35'19" with an elevation of 535 feet. It's mainly all one hill and it really saps me but it's my go to 10 miler so I use it as a yardstick for my fitness. Can't do anything about my age at 59 but my weight of 16 stone for my height of 5'8" isn't helping me on the climb lol. Been riding a couple of years now and started out with 45 minutes but I think I've plateaued now. I'm trying to get under 35 minutes. It's nice to have a goal.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Holy thread resurrection. It has taken 8 years to cover 10 miles.

I don't think my current club says but my last used 15mph as a bench mark, if you can manage that on your own you'll easily go 2-3mph faster in a group.
I've never actually done a 10 mile TT myself but looking at results there seem to be the odd superhuman doing it in around 23mins :ohmy: but the majority fall in the bracket of 26-30 minutes and a few are just over that.
How times have changed, I've got rather addicted to TT's since the OP. My times aren't the best though and I prefer the more challenging and quieter sporting courses. My last club TT on Thursday night was only 26.12, my pb on that course was 24.46 a couple of years ago and my overall best on a flatter course (Bungay) was 23.53.

newts

Veteran
I rode with a mate this morning on a nice 10 miler on the old A30 out of Exeter up to Cheriton Bishop.
A slight tailwind provided assistance for the 800ft of climbing. Met an older guy (older than us) at the cafe stop who was out for his morning bimble, 60+miles. Great to chat to a longtime cyclist about memories of his racing days & his long distance expectations with forthcoming retirement. He was riding a very nice looking Pashley CX, accesorised very tastefully too.
Cycling is a very sociable pastime:bicycle:^_^

Thank you for the reply I will keep trying to get my time down I would like to join a club as I want some company. The slight problem being the local club average 17 -18 think I will die at that pace So working on getting my times down. I managed 30 mile in 2hr 50 mins but went with two other people. I am looking to increase the ride as the furthest I have been is 40 mile

You will be amazed how much faster you will ride when out with a group, I think that from you first post of approx 14mph that 17/18 will prove to be an absolute doddle.

When I was 20 (ish) I used to be able to a 10 mile TT in approx. 22 mins., then when I came back to cycling when I was 38 I had a significant bet against me that I couldn't do the London Brighton in under 2 hrs. 30 mins., I trained hard for a few weeks and was elated when I did it in 2 hrs. 14 mins.
In 2017 at the age of 68, before I started to have significant lung and heart problems I could do a 10 miler in approx. 29 mins and now all I can bloody well do is polish my beloved bike!!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Does the time include the cafe stop?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I had a significant birthday a couple of weeks ago and decided the best way to celebrate was a bike ride from Glasgow to our daughters place in Edinburgh.

The weather was kind, the canal towpaths were a lot better than I'd feared and we had a great day's adventure.

We'd been cycling for a while when my wife looked down at her Garmin and shouted "we've just done a Marathon"

I glanced down at my bike computer, saw the elapsed time and thought " I used to run Marathons faster than that"

That didn't matter, the time was irrelevant, it was the enjoyment of cycling with my wife at a leisurely pace in peaceful surroundings that made the day so memorable.

Sharky

Guru
Also if you do join a club & on your first outing they leave you behind go find another club, no-one should ever be left behind.
Not on my first run. On the first time out, they did a special introductory ride for me and looked after me well. But on the first couple of real club runs, I only lasted 5 miles or so before I "lost" the back wheel of the rider in front of me. But it was a good learning curve and quickly on subsequent runs, learned to stay in the bunch and made it through my first winter with them. They were tough on Merseyside in those days.

This was followed with my first summer season of TT's and when the next winter came along, I was the one having to wait for others.

D

Deleted member 26715

But on the first couple of real club runs, I only lasted 5 miles or so before I "lost" the back wheel of the rider in front of me'
Different strokes for different folks, but if a club had "lost" me I wouldn't have gone back.

Top Bottom