Good Veggie Burgers?

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I eat quite a lot of veggie food, but would eat more if I could find a decent variation in veggie sausages/burgers/etc!

I find that Tescos, Sainsburys and ASDA do beanburgers that are nice, but all pretty much the same - they get boring after a while.

So I tried linda mccartney - and I ended up eating the whole box - each burger is 62 calories (that's bugger all) and when grilled they come out like strips of shoe-leather.

Any other recommendations? How easy are bean burgers to make from scratch?

It would be nice to find as much variation in veggie food as one finds in meat - I eat meat sausages because they come in 101 flavours pretty much!
 

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Location
The middle bit
XmisterIS said:
I eat quite a lot of veggie food, but would eat more if I could find a decent variation in veggie sausages/burgers/etc!

I find that Tescos, Sainsburys and ASDA do beanburgers that are nice, but all pretty much the same - they get boring after a while.

So I tried linda mccartney - and I ended up eating the whole box - each burger is 62 calories (that's bugger all) and when grilled they come out like strips of shoe-leather.
Any other recommendations? How easy are bean burgers to make from scratch?
It would be nice to find as much variation in veggie food as one finds in meat - I eat meat sausages because they come in 101 flavours pretty much!

Probably tasted better than the burgers.

Don't really understand it, if you only eat vegetables, just eat vegetables. Why try to make them like meat products ?
 
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
upsidedown said:
Probably tasted better than the burgers.

Don't really understand it, if you only eat vegetables, just eat vegetables. Why try to make them like meat products ?
I agree, although some people can't eat meat for medical reasons (e.g. my Mum with her dodgy gall baldder). I like the beanburgers because they taste of bean and don't pretend to be meat.
 

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Location
North Wales
Tescos ( sorry Greedo
;) ) own veggie cheese+leek sausages from the chilled bit not the freezer,they are gorgeous.Got sod all to do with bean burgers I know but they are well worth a try! Oh,and the frozen spicy mexican beanburgers are nice if youv not tried them yet.
 

iendicott

Well-Known Member
Location
Peterborough
Quorn burger served with fried peppers in olive oil and garlic, with a crusty bread roll to mop up the juice from the oil and peppers ;)

Forgot to mention Encona hot chilli sauce to dip the peppers in as well.
 

Jezston

Über Member
Location
London
Cauldron veggie sausages is well nice innit.

Another option is to get some of that powdered veggie burger mix stuff - rather bland and floury on its own, but mix in chopped veg, kidney beans, avocado, mix in a bit of stock, salsa, squash, houmous... whatever takes your fancy or whatever's left in the fridge really. Great fun and always interesting and tasty results. And dead easy.
 
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Jezston said:
Cauldron veggie sausages is well nice innit.

Another option is to get some of that powdered veggie burger mix stuff - rather bland and floury on its own, but mix in chopped veg, kidney beans, avocado, mix in a bit of stock, salsa, squash, houmous... whatever takes your fancy or whatever's left in the fridge really. Great fun and always interesting and tasty results. And dead easy.
That I like the sound of! I think you can get it at Holland & Barrett (sp?), n'est pas?
 
I would say, making your own burgers, veggie or meat, is a bit of a thankless and profitless task - just shop around till you find some that suit your palate and your pocket.

I could suggest the home-made (vegan) pakoras as a sort of burger-like offering, if you like - certainly they're round, flat and fried and could be served in a bun with the trimmings if you fancy it. Was going to put up the recipe until I realised I've already posted it, [post=1075176]here[/post]. I didn't mention in that post, that I sometimes throw a handful of chopped cashew nuts into the mix.

Incidentally, I tend to think of meat burgers as a substitute for veggie burgers, not the other way round.
 

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Location
Belvedere, Kent.
I think that the Cauldron range has improved a lot in recent years, their mushroom burgers are good, and the marinated tofu pieces are excellent in stir fries.

Re the Linda McCartney burgers, were they the small ones or the quarter pounders? I try and grill them very slowly and not for too long otherwise they will dry out.


http://cauldronfoods.co.uk/
 

palinurus

Legendary Member
Location
Watford
Seriously: I don't get on with most of the veggie burgers that are available, although I do occasionally buy the Quorn jobs. Ms P and I have tried various recipes found on the internet- there are a lot of approaches, one particularly nice one was based on mashed butterbeans, we've tried grated carrot, spinach and feta cheese- all sorts of stuff, bind it together with an egg and fry it.

Nut loaf is pretty easy to make from scratch, I've never tried but I expect it would be possible to burgerize the recipe somewhat with a bit of experimentation.
 
Top Bottom