Good weather website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It only seems to be backward looking?
Of course the radar can only show what has happened over the last couple of hours but by noting the wind direction and movement of the rain areas over time it is simple enough to make a prediction - forecast, even - of where the rain will be in the next 2 -3+ hours. There is also a local forecast. Works for me, anyway.

sabian92

Über Member
I use Accuweather. Not a bad website.

Brandane

Legendary Member
AFAIK, the Met Office are the only people to run a model with small enough cells for British weather systems. These are peculiarly complex because of the number of influences over our weather. Most of the other sites run future models designed for large continental landmasses.

I find the Met Office forecasts to be worse than useless if you are relying on them for more than half a day ahead. On Monday night I checked the forecast for the rest of this week in the Ayrshire area. There was a "severe weather warning" for heavy rain and flooding, lasting from Tuesday afternoon through to Wednesday afternoon; then sunshine today (Thursday).

What actually happened? Some rain on Tuesday and Tuesday night, then light showers yesterday (Wednesday). I am a bit of a fair weather cyclist, and even I managed to get 40 miles in yesterday morning. So much for severe weather warnings; they throw them out like confetti these days, with the result that no-one pays any attention any more.

As for the sunshine today; well my planned cycle has just been cancelled thanks to the persistent drizzle. This is not a one off, I find the Met Office to be more often off the mark than anywhere near accurate. Sometimes they are so badly wrong that it is hard to work out just what they are doing with all their satellite technology and expensive computers. As the BBC just copy the Met Office, they are useless too. I find XC weather to be the best of a bad lot.

Top Bottom