Good weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What's a reasonable weight for a half decent road bike without spending a fortune, or do people actually know the weight of there bike, including everything you would normally carry on a 40+mile ride.

Gary E

Veteran
Any potential gains that I'd get from shaving ounces off my bike wherever possible seem totally pointless given the weight of the fat slob that rides it :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What's a reasonable weight for a half decent road bike without spending a fortune, or do people actually know the weight of there bike, including everything you would normally carry on a 40+mile ride.

I do not know the weight of my bike (I would guestimate about 7.5kg, maybe a bit less), but I would hazard a guess that ~9kg is a reasonable weight for a road bike that doesn't cost a fortune. TBH, even as a bit of a weight weenie, I am not very good at it and seem to get wrapped up in individual component weights rather than focussing on the bigger picture i.e. the whole bike, lol.

Herr-B

A 40 mile* ride is just a couple of water bottles, and a small seat-pack with some tools, tube and a co2 pump. I am the biggest hinderence to my bike's weight, half a kilo on or off the bike doesn't seem much in the grand scheme of my belly.

*I say that, but I've not been much further yet.

fossala

Guru
That is very true. I'm quite slim at 71kg and 5ft 10. My bike weighs nothing in comparison with me. Rolling weight, that's what you have to think about for them climbs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is very true. I'm quite slim at 71kg and 5ft 10. My bike weighs nothing in comparison with me. Rolling weight, that's what you have to think about for them climbs.

You are actually quite light, so the weight of your bike will have a much more pronounced effect on total weight (your combined weight is going to be like what 80kg or so, a kg off of the bike is over 1% weight saving, you should notice that IME). I weigh 76kg at 6' 3" and I can definitely tell when I am running my heavy wheels or my light wheels, or when I have a bulk of crap on the bike like bottles and whatever. Overall performance doesn't change hugely, but it does improve, whether placebo or not, I don't care, a performance gain is a performance gain.

The argument of being big and thus weight savings having little impact has some merit, but hey, any loss is a loss.

D

Deleted member 20519

My Triban 3 with Fulcrum 7 wheels is 9.1kg - I don't think that's bad at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
9/10kg's.

You should be able to get less than 9kg's though easily. A quality steel bike with good handbuilt wheels from 20 years ago comes in at 9kg. Any steel frames have about a 1kg penalty on alloy or carbon frames.

Drop weight on tyres/wheels for the most benefit. And it goes without saying, if you can drop a little body weight.

Kies

My bike is sub 9kg (new,without pedals). I have noticed a big slow down in my speeds that has coincided with my winter "lardass" increase of 8lbs????
Can anyone explain why? :rhetotorical question

Top Bottom