Good weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My Triban 3 with Fulcrum 7 wheels is 9.1kg - I don't think that's bad at all.
that's distressingly good. About 2kg more than mine which cost twenty times the amount. And that 2kg is about a third of the weight I've gained in the last year.

It really isn't just about weight, though. It's about stiffness, and lack of resonance.

D

Deleted member 20519

that's distressingly good. About 2kg more than mine which cost twenty times the amount. And that 2kg is about a third of the weight I've gained in the last year.

It really isn't just about weight, though. It's about stiffness, and lack of resonance.

I haven't noticed any flex when I'm out of the saddle, I'm sure a pro rider would feel the bike flex but I don't output enough power for it to be noticeable. What bike do you have that cost £4k? :eek:

GrasB

Veteran
I'd say you'll be looking at around 9-10kg on-ride weight for a lighter road bike & 2-3kg more for an aero bike. My town hack weights in at 7.9kg, that's a minimal fixed gear bike, add 2.5-3.5kg for gears, bottle holders, water, etc.

Lightness feels fast, aero is fast. As long as your speed remains above ~10mph. Aero typically adds weight to the bike. For this reason quite often a bike at £3000 will be heaver than one at £1500, just a lot more aero.

Contrary to popular belief rolling weight has very little impact on you performance. It does however change the way you need to ride to get the most performance out of your bike. The heaver your wheels the more power you expend accelerating, as such heavy wheels aren't great for group racing where there are rapid changes in pace. They are however great in TTs where you can maintain a steady pace for long periods. It takes more discipline to maximise the performance of heavy wheels.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My Di2 Venge currently tips the scales at 6.4 kg
My Di2 Tarmac currently tips the scales at 5.8 kg
I tip the scales at 59 kg
I Don't know the weight of the kit I take with me as it varies, but I would guess a maximum of 2 kg
They are both very different kinds of bikes, the Venge is without doubt the faster bike, but its harsh and not a bike you would want to ride exceptionally long distances. While the tarmac is simply an exceptional all round bike and great at climbing.
I would not for a moment suggest my bikes are good value for money, but they make me smile

My Di2 Venge currently tips the scales at 6.4 kg
My Di2 Tarmac currently tips the scales at 5.8 kg
I tip the scales at 59 kg
I Don't know the weight of the kit I take with me as it varies, but I would guess a maximum of 2 kg
They are both very different kinds of bikes, the Venge is without doubt the faster bike, but its harsh and not a bike you would want to ride exceptionally long distances. While the tarmac is simply an exceptional all round bike and great at climbing.
I would not for a moment suggest my bikes are good value for money, but they make me smile
V. Who weighs 9 stone? You are either 5 foot tall and skinny or normal height with a serious eating disorder!?!? :laugh:

Yea I'm a short arse :shy: 5ft 7 and on the slim side.
Would not be surprised if Bob Geldof starting raising money for me sometimes :laugh:
My bro is 5'7" and 10.5 stone. He is slim with a muscular build. You must be a climbing wizard!!!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My bro is 5'7" and 10.5 stone. He is slim with a muscular build. You must be a climbing wizard!!!

I personally think I'm acceptable, and would not suggest anything other than that simply because at some point another forum member will be along to remind me of the time I did not plug my Di2 battery in correctly and ended up getting stuck in a big gear. I ended up getting off an pushing it up a hill in London with only my torment and the others jibes to keep me company. :cry:

I personally think I'm acceptable, and would not suggest anything other than that simply because at some point another forum member will be along to remind me of the time I did not plug my Di2 battery in correctly and ended up getting stuck in a big gear and pushing it up a hill in London with only my torment and the others jibes to keep me company. :cry:
I thought hills were for the big gears? Especially if you weigh about the same as a Spesh tarmac. ;)

I heard one of our forum members were accusing Alberto Contador of being overweight. Now i know who it was. :whistle:

Top Bottom