Goodbye Brooks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I think my Brooks saddle and me are getting divorced. The constant creaking and strange noises have worn me down at last and I can't put up with it any longer. I have tried every remedy I can find on the internet and nothing works. I have taken the saddle off and fitted a Bontrager bum torturerer. Hard on the bum but worth it to ride a silent bike again. I now have to find a new saddle to use.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that compo. No idea what the problem with your B17 is, I've never had such problem. Good luck with the new saddle.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I took the Bontrager saddle from my road bike. It struck me tonight that it could be worth fitting the Brooks to the road bike for a try out. My weight distribution will be different on a road bike compared to the slightly more upright position on the hybrid. Also, the road bike has the old fashioned type seat clamp whilst the hybrid has a micro adjust post. However if it still plays up onto Ebay it will go!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Spot on. If you liked the collapsed shape of the Brooks, try a Charge Spoon, they have a fairly cupped shape for the sit bones and they're cheap.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think my Brooks saddle and me are getting divorced. The constant creaking and strange noises have worn me down at last and I can't put up with it any longer. I have tried every remedy I can find on the internet and nothing works. I have taken the saddle off and fitted a Bontrager bum torturerer. Hard on the bum but worth it to ride a silent bike again. I now have to find a new saddle to use.

I had one decades back on my Raleigh Team Professional which was a lot of bike for a teenager back then (thanks Mum). It had a Brooks Professional saddle fitted which was great until it got soaking wet and sagged in the middle.

Can't even imagine how my teenage legs managed to turn the cranks tbh.

My Old Bike.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
I recently took the Brooks off my long distance bike. The creaking was driving me nuts. As I need the loops for fitting a carradice, I went for the Spa Aire saddle. No creaking, lighter, thicker leather, currently very tempted to get a Spa for the commuter now.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My Champion Flyer creaks if every metal to metal contact point is not greased, and the tension nut slackens off over 200 odd km so is now loctited. None of my B17's (four) make a sound.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Top Bottom