Google Cycling Directions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Hey everyone,

In the last couple of months, Google released their latest addition to their world famous Maps feature, The cycling directions button!

That's right, now if you're trying to find the quickest, most direct or most suitable rout for your dual wheeled journey you need but click onto the Google Maps site and click the bicycle button. This to me sounds a great idea. You can look over your rout before you head out, making sure the roads are all suitable for your bike, your ability and for cycling in general.

You can get an accurate idea of how far a cycle it is and if you really want it you can print out a nice image assisted step by step directions sheet (though quite how you are supposed to use these whilst on a bike I'm not quite sure).

However, have any of you used this feature yet? Google themselves claim it is still very much in the beta stage and warn that you should use it with caution. Has anyone had some bad experiences, or pleasant surprises when using the google bike directions feature?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Havent used the new cycling mode yet but I often used google maps in walking mode in the past.Only problem is it will sometimes take you down footpaths that may not be suitable for a road bike but usually they can be detoured around.Hopefully the cycle function will remove that problem.

phillc

Veteran
I live near Sustran route 24 in North Somerset, I join it by cycling along the Greenways cycle track, but no matter what I do Google maps keeps telling me that the Greenways is not there. It certainly needs using with caution.

Happy and safe cycling
phill

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Funnily enough I looked at this today.
Certainly gives some interesting results, and doesn't take into account bus lanes as a safe haven for cyclists in London.

I've noticed that their timing is based on a very slow speed, as i've done the same routes nearly 30mins quicker than what they suggest.

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
Funnily enough I looked at this today.
Certainly gives some interesting results, and doesn't take into account bus lanes as a safe haven for cyclists in London.

I've noticed that their timing is based on a very slow speed, as i've done the same routes nearly 30mins quicker than what they suggest.
I think their estimates are based on between 12 and 15 mph which agreed is considerably slower than the average cyclist (Especially when out of town). They should add a feature to input your average speed.

Iain Harper

Regular
As a starter for ten it's not bad. The inclusion of "Trails", "Dedicated Lanes" and "Bicycle friendly roads" looks good - although it will obviously take a while for the data accuracy to improve.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's good in some places, rubbish in others. I'd expect it to evolve and improve quite quickly.

Cyclist33

Lol you only just noticed?

Hey everyone,

In the last couple of months, Google released their latest addition to their world famous Maps feature, The cycling directions button!

That's right, now if you're trying to find the quickest, most direct or most suitable rout for your dual wheeled journey you need but click onto the Google Maps site and click the bicycle button. This to me sounds a great idea. You can look over your rout before you head out, making sure the roads are all suitable for your bike, your ability and for cycling in general.

You can get an accurate idea of how far a cycle it is and if you really want it you can print out a nice image assisted step by step directions sheet (though quite how you are supposed to use these whilst on a bike I'm not quite sure).

However, have any of you used this feature yet? Google themselves claim it is still very much in the beta stage and warn that you should use it with caution. Has anyone had some bad experiences, or pleasant surprises when using the google bike directions feature?

Davehateshills

At this moment I wouldn't trust it. I tried several of my usual routes and it took me all over the place. It's a great idea however I don't think they have enough information in there just yet.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Oh and it doesn't work for continental Europe or beyond yet, unless you're plotting a route in the US.
It seems to work fine in Belgium and Netherlands, but not France (I havent tried anywhere else outside the UK). The dutch routes it plans seem very good, but I guess that's to be expected.

It looks like its tied in with Sustrans offroad traffic free routes, so I imagine some of the green routes would be interesting for those of you on road bikes, but on the whole it seems pretty decent for suggesting routes.

yello

Are we talking about the app here? Because I'm unable to use Google maps app in an off-line mode at all. Keeps telling me it's lost its data connection. I've the maps downloaded, and it'll route if I have a wi-fi connection but not without. I suspect it doesn't actually work 'off line' as I'm thinking. I don't have data on my mobile contract and I suspect Maps needs that - so not exactly off-line imho.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It appears as one of the choices (car/bus/walking/cycling) when you get directions. It may be more difficult to find on the mobile version.

Top Bottom