Google Maps Publish restricted access routes - Sustrans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mini58

i some may know I am disabled - it is great to see that Google Maps is launching city maps of restricted access.

I had intended using NCN only for my LEJOG. This will prove to be impossible due to the barriers and restrictions on the route. My lack of mobility makes it difficult for me to get up and down from my trike.

I contacted Sustrans who told me they do not have information on what restrictions are in place on the routes. Sustrans consider themselves to be an inclusive organisation supporting people with disabilities.

It appears with my limited triking experience that Sustrans support two wheeled able bodied travel. I will have a clearer picture after I complete my LEJOG

I will on my return begin to compile some details on these restrictions

But once again WELL DONE GOOGLE MAPS

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It appears with my limited triking experience that Sustrans support two wheeled able bodied travel.
I think you are being too kind there.

Good luck with your ride, please be aware that Google Maps, like all maps will not be infallible and you are sure to find some hiccups on the way, so be prepared to reroute.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With Google Maps I'd suggest checking using Streetview. I used them for my 750 km ride in July last year and an apparent 'road' on Google Maps was a fenced-off cart track necessitating a 20km detour.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wouldn't use Sustrans's maps. They think stuff which was planned and cancelled has been built. Much of the same fictional shoot is shown on Google maps, while other high-quality routes are completely missing. OpenStreetMap is more accurate in the fens.

Klwnbug and others are slowly adding details of barriers to www.osm.org but we'd rather work on getting them removed where possible. Having complaints from someone blocked by these evil crash hazards would be great and much more difficult for the councils to ignore legally, but the fens are not on any sensible LEJOG route. If you ever do the North Sea Coast Route, let us know what gets in your way.

Sustran unfortunately are not trike or disabled friendly .
l have found many problems on our local trail ( sustran 2 ) narrow barriers , no cycling areas on the middle of a cycle track etc . They appear only to want to get people to subscribe to their cause rather than help promote disabled or alternate transport.

On the routes over the weekend lots of sales volunteers try and sell you a subscription but have little else to say.

Just my tupenny worth

later's Emma

byegad

Legendary Member
I seem to remember warning you that Sustrans is full of blockages.

Frankly I doubt they even care about access to their system.

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

I seem to remember warning you that Sustrans is full of blockages.

Frankly I doubt they even care about access to their system.
Yes you did warn me about the blockages: it was your warning that set me on this course, put aside my Sustrans book and think again. Indeed you stopped me dead in my tracks and thank you much appreciated. My solution now is just to go where the spirit takes me, a wanderer with an aimless Route up through LEJOG

Are you on an ICE trike @Mini58? If so they make a couple of accessories which make their trikes easier to get up from.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
On NCN6, at Manton in Worksop, there is a barrier on the cycle route which the only way to pass through it is to lift my MTB up so that the handlebars clear the top of the barrier. I think it would be impossible to pass through with narrow drop bars without doing the same. Whoever designed / installed the barrier never bothered to measure the width of a bike. There is no way to bypass the barrier either as it is at the entrance to a bridge. A recumbent or trike would have no chance to pass through.

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Are you on an ICE trike @Mini58? If so they make a couple of accessories which make their trikes easier to get up from.
Yes my friend I am on an Adventure only just got it a month or so ago so getting the miles in. Thank you for the information about the accessories I will look into it. Cheers.

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Sustrans are not great for recumbents or road bikes either. They have very little info about their own routes, not even the surface type.

So I am finding out; I did send an e-mail to Sustrans about their lack of support and information for people with disabilities which has been forwarded to the Sustrans Director of Infrastructure ( you got to love the title) for comment- I will post their reply on here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whoever designed / installed the barrier never bothered to measure the width of a bike. There is no way to bypass the barrier either as it is at the entrance to a bridge.
I think you're being too kind. I think they know how wide bike handlebars are: about the same width as the narrowest motorbike handlebars. I don't think they consider trikes and so on. So if they make it wide enough for bikes, then the legendary motorbikes can get through and they might have to rely on the police enforcing the law. Logically, no barrier can stop motorbikes without also stopping a lot of cycles and mobility scooters.

Installing them at the end of a bridge is unusually clever: often there are tracks worn through adjacent grass or ditches, or holes made in fences or hedges, where even legitimate users prefer to avoid the dexterity challenge.

Top Bottom