Google maps think tablet is in Brazil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi,

Anyone able to resolve this.

MrsPK's tablet has started to think she is in Brazil instead of Sussex.
Turning on and off has not helped

Ta

Old jon

Guru
This is odd. Google emailed me on Tuesday, about my account. Telling me that in thirty days it would be transferred to Brazil, for reasons to do with legal stuff. It is eighteen months since I returned from that rather interesting country . . .

mustang1

Guru
I get quite sketchy if I get emails like that and look into it with some detail. It's probably prudent to check your accounts are ok, passwords up to date, 2 factor authentication and things like that.

Lozz360

Veteran
Do you access the internet via a VPN? Although a VPN that links to a provider in Brazil would be a bit unusual.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Sorry, I should have asked what you mean when you say, the tablet “thinks it’s in Brazil”. Do you mean that your location on the map app shows you as being in Brazil or do you mean that the adverts that pop are in Portuguese and are for goods and services located in Brazil? Or both?

Mapping and all accociated functions show device located in Brazil. Ads etc are as normal.

Lozz360

Veteran
I am typing this on an iPad. I just switched off location services and Google Maps says I’m in Sunningvale California. I wish I was it’s pissing down here in Oxfordshire!

My point is, could it just be that location services are switched off?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In a similar vein, when opening Google maps on my phone the map always starts out centred on Moor Beck, just north of Embsay Moor reservoir near Skipton.

53.9993904, -1.9984469

Not sure why, don't think I have ever been there and the location soon zooms into my correct home position.

dodgy

Does your ipad have GPS (which the 3g/4g/5g versions have) or do you rely on positioning from WiFi? If the latter, have you had a new Wifi Access Point put in or had a new neighbour move in? Could be throwing your location services out.

Top Bottom