Google scam help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Although ironically that's exactly what ebay has demanded in the past of some of its users.
PayPal have just done it, they have restricted my account which has been open for 20 years, they say they need a Government ID, proof of address etc. I told them I'm uploading nothing & to close the account, their response was they can't close the account without me verifying the account by uploading the ID :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
It then takes you to a screen for dob then another screen yo upload ID.

You might want to remove both your email addresses from that pic?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
PayPal have just done it, they have restricted my account which has been open for 20 years, they say they need a Government ID, proof of address etc. I told them I'm uploading nothing & to close the account, their response was they can't close the account without me verifying the account by uploading the ID :laugh:
Actually you're right, it was PP.

Alex321

Veteran
Had an email to prove my age & send photo ID to them or I lose my accounts in 14 days.
Is this legit? I don’t want to send them a pic of my driving licence or passport.
Thanks in advance.
In spite of the people saying it is definitely a scam, it could very well be legit.

But with these sort of emails, NEVER click on a link in the email, but instead go to your Google account separately, there should be a notification there if it is in fact legit. If it is a scam, a link will take you to a page which looks like your usual Google page, but is in fact something different.

Alex321

Veteran
It does seem that Google is challenging some customers to verify they are old enough to operate an account.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1333913?hl=en

I wouldn’t be sending any photo ID and I wouldn’t even be happy sending credit card details.
I've used my Credit Card to purchase some items from Google Play. So I shouldn't think there is going to be any issue with age verification on my account.
But if, for some reason, they did require me to re-verify my age, I wouldn't have any issue with CC details, since that is what I would be using to buy anything from them.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Do you want your email addresses on an open forum? 🤔

Edit: Beaten to it..
Removed.
I have my nest camera, YouTube & loads of stuff on the Google frame work. They can’t just close my email I’ve had for over 10 years because I didn’t send them personal details. It’s either a scam or they are complete bar-stewards.
I will let it run & hopefully not get closed down & miss important emails.

Alex321

Veteran
Removed.
I have my nest camera, YouTube & loads of stuff on the Google frame work. They can’t just close my email I’ve had for over 10 years because I didn’t send them personal details. It’s either a scam or they are complete bar-stewards.
I will let it run & hopefully not get closed down & miss important emails.
If they have reason to believe you may not meet the age requirements, they can and will.

From the link given by Glasgowcyclist above:
If we have learned that you may not be old enough to manage your own account:

• You’ll have 14 days to either set up supervision for your account or verify that you’re old enough to manage your account. During this grace period you can log in and use your account as normal.
    • If your account is through work, school, or another organization, your account may not be eligible for parental supervision. If that is the case, your account will be disabled immediately. You should contact your admin if you have questions.
  • If you choose not to set up supervision or verify you’re old enough to manage your account within 14 days, your account will be disabled and your account information will be deleted after 30 days.

• Important: If your account is disabled, content you've published will be hidden. For example, YouTube videos you've created won't be visible while your account is disabled. If you re-enable your account it may take up to several days for your content to show up again.
The question then is how do they "learn that you may not be old enough to manage your own account"

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I don't wish to start a row or major debate but I am amazed how many people have so much of their lives on line today. I have one email address that rarely gets looked at and CC is the only other thing I go on line for. I realise I am the exception these days but if the worst happened I might not be able to put my bike in front of pictures on CC and that would be it. With some others it could ruin everything it seems.

steverob

Guru
Yeah, I went through the same loop with PayPal back in the early 2010's. They insisted on me uploading ID, I refused and asked to close my account (that I barely used anyway), they said we can only process account closures via an online form, so I went to the form and it said you can't access it until you've provided us with ID. Even complaining to their customer services got nowhere, just round and round in a circle. Eventually I gave up and ignored their semi-regular emails about providing an ID - eventually after a few years they stopped sending any more, so I guess my account must have got closed due to lack of use.

Top Bottom