Gorgeous places to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've just had the NICEST BH weekend. The husband and brother in law were completing the Pennine Way and I spent the weekend being Sherpa Girl (driving their bags from point to point) and entertaing myself by doing day rides on the lovely Liesl, bike of my dreams! I had such a lovely time I thought I'd flag them here so if anyone's in the area, they could check the routes out.

Day 1 Alston, Cumbria 30 miles ish

Cycled up Hartside Pass for my first ever 'me on a pass' photo of which I'm immensely proud. Then drove to Haltwhistle and pootled about for the day and managed my first 'double arrow steep' road!!!

Day 2 Once Brewed hostel to Alston 40 miles ish

Followed the A639 to Alston. An A road but not busy at all and just glorious countryside. Followed the Pennine Way Cycle path back to the fabulously named Slaggyford (beautiful ride) and then headed up the hill towards Eals before heading back to Haltwhistle and the hostel again.

Day 3 Scottish Borders 50 miles ish

A really happy day. Cycled from Kirk Yetholm (end of the Pennine Way) to Coldstream on lovely quiet back roads. No guards in Coldstream, was a bit gutted. Went to Kelso for lunch, lovely bike shop and nice bloke who inflated Liesl's tyres for me. Over to Jedburgh for apple pie overlooking the abbey and then back up some hills to KY.

I had SUCH a lovely time I just thought I'd mention the areas. The borders in particular were glorious. The sunshine helped, but it was just a great weekend.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Humm so you recommend the borders, think I better start checking the weekend weather forecast...

Brock

Sounds fantastic Cathryn, glad you had such a good weekend.

Cathryn said:
Cycled up Hartside Pass for my first ever 'me on a pass' photo of which I'm immensely proud.

Going to share this with us then?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was quite keen to but don't have any online photo sharing facilities so can't see how to. And then today I saw some photos of people on crazyguy at a pass of 8500 feet, instead of my poxy 1900, so felt slightly sheepish!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cathryn said:
I was quite keen to but don't have any online photo sharing facilities so can't see how to.

Just up load them to flickr, Picasa or Snapfish for example.

Cathryn said:
And then today I saw some photos of people on crazyguy at a pass of 8500 feet, instead of my poxy 1900, so felt slightly sheepish!

Size isn't everything, and everyone has to start somewhere...

toontra

Veteran
Each year my London to Aberdeen ride takes me over the Pennines and through Alston. As you say, very pretty indeed (a bit of a climb though!), as is the route further north through the borders via Eskdalemuir.

Top Bottom