Gosh, parts have gone a bit silly on price and availability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I wanted a new 11 speed chain, I usually order KMC. Just about everywhere is sold out or wanted far more than I was prepared to pay. I ended up buying standard Shimano chain at probably double the normal cost. Worrying I might need to change 2 or more chains in the near future I bought 3. Hopefully next year prices will normalise and availability is plentiful

Drago

Legendary Member
Supply chains for everything from raw materials to the finished product are donald ducked the world over thanks to a certain illness. Just in time manufacturing has, in many cases, collapsed as a result.

Consequently consumers suffer with price and availability. Its not likely to fully recover for years, and with inflation on the up the world over - although the UK is so far faring better than many countries - prices will likely never return to where they once were.

Get used to paying rather more than you're prepared to pay for many commodities, or not getting one at all.

Just put my bike in for repair (Chainset, bearings, BB, stuff....) and the first shop was quoting me next March for parts, luckily was able to find another who said 2-3 weeks. Not sure if price was significantly higher as has been a while since I bought those things but just happy to be getting the bike back quicker than next year!

How much do you expect to pay for a chain normally? I just checked and an eight speed chain from Rose starts at 8,95€ available online (noticeably not in one of their walk-in stores) which is 7.55GBP. 11 speed is admittedly a bit more pricey at 17.95 for an immediately available one or or 15.13 GBP if you can wait.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's a shortage of many parts and, with the inevitable result, that prices go up.

I'm fortunate to keep enough of most parts (tyres/chains/cassettes/bottom brackets/components) in stock for 12-18 months, but beyond that it'll be interesting.

How much do you expect to pay for a chain normally? I just checked and an eight speed chain from Rose starts at 8,95€ available online (noticeably not in one of their walk-in stores) which is 7.55GBP. 11 speed is admittedly a bit more pricey at 17.95 or 15.13 for an immediately available one.
now now don't rub it in andy with your easy access to Rose, now barred to most of us.
I weep when I think of the many quality cheap sensible bits I got from Rose until very recently - just happy that I stocked up on a fair few bits.
I was in a Decathlon the other day looking for Hollowtech 2 external bearings (stupidly let Mr Hewitt put external bearings on my Hewitt) - none at all on display, in fact no bottom brackets at all on display. A very nice helpful chap (eastern european?) in the workshop dug out an XT set - been half fitted so greasy but essentially new. But it turned out that his idea that they were £25 was wrong and they were more like £30 when I got to the till so I handed them back at the checkout - I returned to the chap to tell him, stress that I wasn't criticising him and thanked him again.
Am holding out for prices to fall back despite @Drago 's take on things - hope he isn't right.

If anyone knows where I can get some deore external bearings (while I curse otherwise nice Mt hewitt) at a reasonable price do let me know.

At least my bikes which get heavy wear are cartridge BBs.

I have the idea that the folk who are really suffering in this situation are the folks with the more "advanced" bikes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
But it turned out that his idea that they were £25 was wrong and they were more like £30 when I got to the till so I handed them back at the checkout
when you eventually find your sub £25 set i stock somewhere, you'll have spent the £5 difference on postage or more fuel to pick them up:laugh:

now now don't rub it in andy with your easy access to Rose, now barred to most of us.
I weep when I think of the many quality cheap sensible bits I got from Rose until very recently - just happy that I stocked up on a fair few bits.

Sorry, that wasn't my intent: I thought Rose was still supplying parts to the UK, just not complete bikes.

I have the idea that the folk who are really suffering in this situation are the folks with the more "advanced" bikes.

I can imagine that could be an issue.

when you eventually find your sub £25 set i stock somewhere, you'll have spent the £5 difference on postage or more fuel to pick them up:laugh:
to think that some folk seemed to say not long ago that external bearings were a cheap and easy swap. Going online I find a fair number of folks seeming to think that a 2 years life is just fine and dandy. Madness in my view.
You may be right on the future being worse - I live in hope that I can get them cheaper in future, especially if shimano persuades more folk (fools?) to adopt the things - I probably don't need them immediately.
I no longer drive by the way so no personal fuel will be involved in any future purchase.
And there will be no/minimal postage as I will buy a fair bit of stuff.

But as I said - sources of reasonably priced external BBs welcome.

(picked up two new square taper UN55s not too long ago - one about £4.50, the other £7.50 - I wouldn't be too surprised if they outlive me)

Last edited:
Sorry, that wasn't my intent: I thought Rose was still supplying parts to the UK, just not complete bikes.
They announced right about the time of Boris's christmas fairy tale address to the nation that they were at that time no longer supplying bits to the UK.
They have always struck me as a very well run outfit so I have the feeling that they have looked at the broader situation since and decided that they can't be arsed to jump through the hoops. Can't say I blame them. Can't see the situation changing any time soon.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Supply chains for everything from raw materials to the finished product are donald ducked the world over thanks to a certain illness. Just in time manufacturing has, in many cases, collapsed as a result.

Consequently consumers suffer with price and availability. Its not likely to fully recover for years, and with inflation on the up the world over - although the UK is so far faring better than many countries - prices will likely never return to where they once were.

Get used to paying rather more than you're prepared to pay for many commodities, or not getting one at all.
We have had 3 days off in the last month due to parts shortages

Top Bottom