Gosh, parts have gone a bit silly on price and availability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes i do know about the mighty google thanks (which probably knows more about you and me than we know ourselves) but I am in a forum and just thought I'd ask for hot friendly tips - just in case any cyclists have strayed here - on ones at a good price with current availability. Suppose I could put myself in the hands of Tredz and their availability games. Google of course often turns up "results" where stock is but just a distant memory/fantasy.
Beware ever posting anything at all with a question mark in case someone pops up to suggest google.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many thanks the blue one but should have said it's the MTB one (for a touring bike) I need - the BB52 I think?
Currently most easily available in germany I think.

They fit the same. I have the BB52's on my Commuter/Tourer, replacing the old Deore that I previously used.

They fit the same. I have the BB52's on my Commuter/Tourer, replacing the old Deore that I previously used/
ah thanks - I thought there was some difference in the road/mtb versions (isn't there?) - and in fact the nice helpful knowledgeable chap in the northern decathlon specifically asked about whether it was for a road or M bike - though his funny english threw me a bit when he seemed to offer motorbike as the alternative.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ah thanks - I thought there was some difference in the road/mtb versions (isn't there?) - and in fact the nice helpful knowledgeable chap in the northern decathlon specifically asked about whether it was for a road or M bike - though his funny english threw me a bit when he seemed to offer motorbike as the alternative.

No idea.
I was surprised when I got them they said Mountain Bike on them. But as said, just swapped over and they fitted fine. Couldn't see any noticeable difference.

No idea.
I was surprised when I got them they said Mountain Bike on them. But as said, just swapped over and they fitted fine. Couldn't see any noticeable difference.
thanks - maybe I will risk a conversation with the notorious Spa - though they have always been fine with me on my odd phone conversation (maybe my northern accent calms them) or email.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I sent an email to my favourite supplier of cassettes to find out when a Shimano CS5700 cassette might be back in stock. They replied that the item had been on back order for eight months and that Shimano wouldn't give them a delivery date in advance. BTW, I don't really understand why Covid seems to have had such a devastating effect on the supply of bike bits. They are all made on CNC machines that don't really need humans very much. Robots don't get sick.

D

Deleted member 1258

to think that some folk seemed to say not long ago that external bearings were a cheap and easy swap. Going online I find a fair number of folks seeming to think that a 2 years life is just fine and dandy. Madness in my view.
You may be right on the future being worse - I live in hope that I can get them cheaper in future, especially if shimano persuades more folk (fools?) to adopt the things - I probably don't need them immediately.
I no longer drive by the way so no personal fuel will be involved in any future purchase.
And there will be no/minimal postage as I will buy a fair bit of stuff.

But as I said - sources of reasonably priced external BBs welcome.

(picked up two new square taper UN55s not too long ago - one about £4.50, the other £7.50 - I wouldn't be too surprised if they outlive me)

The Hollow Tech external bearings on my Eastway are still going strong after some where between three and a half and four years, they've lasted longer than square taper usually last me.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
With all the money creation around the world it is possible we will see double digit inflation very soon so I would say buy it while you can:laugh:

davidphilips

Veteran
Seems that bikes and bike parts are not the only things to be rocketing up in price know my electric,fuel and shopping is costing me an eye watering amount with no sign of it returning to what it was a year ago?
Have also noticed house prices seem to keep going up and just can not work out how any normal working man, woman or family can afford to save a deposit never mind make the payments? If inflation does go to double figures pity help any one with a large mortgage or lone?

The Hollow Tech external bearings on my Eastway are still going strong after some where between three and a half and four years, they've lasted longer than square taper usually last me.
thanks for the encouraging news on the external ones - I do know that some folk do have good experiences. I suppose my basic point is "why tinker with something that just works and you can forget about" - for I am really very surprised by your square taper experiences - I think I've only swapped out 2 or 3 catrridge BBs in 25 years of serious cycling, and one of that 2 or 3 was a first gen Octalink which some folk say is less durable than square taper. The main issue, if you can call it that, with square taper always seemed to me to be that they were so reliable it was possible to forget about them and have them seize in the frame (avoided of course by occasional removal, cleaning of threads and regreasing).
But thanks again for the encouragement.
If you know any live sources of good prices on external bearings do let me know.
(by the by in relation to the @ianrauk exchange I gather there is difference between road and MTB ones - can be overcome but I don't want to navigate even small differences on my first swap out.

edit - just seen @Venod 's post - educational on here for sure.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I sent an email to my favourite supplier of cassettes to find out when a Shimano CS5700 cassette might be back in stock. They replied that the item had been on back order for eight months and that Shimano wouldn't give them a delivery date in advance. BTW, I don't really understand why Covid seems to have had such a devastating effect on the supply of bike bits. They are all made on CNC machines that don't really need humans very much. Robots don't get sick.
Many of the factories just shut down completely during national or local lockdowns. Even if you only need a few people, you do need those few.

But I think the bigger issue is transportation. To put it simplistically, containers are stacked up in places where they can't be filled, and aren't getting back to the places where they can.

Top Bottom