Gosh, parts have gone a bit silly on price and availability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

thanks for the encouraging news on the external ones - I do know that some folk do have good experiences. I suppose my basic point is "why tinker with something that just works and you can forget about" - for I am really very surprised by your square taper experiences - I think I've only swapped out 2 or 3 catrridge BBs in 25 years of serious cycling, and one of that 2 or 3 was a first gen Octalink which some folk say is less durable than square taper. The main issue, if you can call it that, with square taper always seemed to me to be that they were so reliable it was possible to forget about them and have them seize in the frame (avoided of course be occasional removal, cleaning of threads and regreasing).
But thanks again for the encouragement.
If you know any live sources of good prices on external bearings do let me know.
(by the by in relation to the @ianrauk exchange I gather there is difference between road and MTB ones - can be overcome but I don't want to navigate even small differences on my first swap out.

edit - just seen @Venod 's post - educational on here for sure.

Up until recently I've been riding 4-5000 miles a year split between two bikes, fixed in winter and gears in summer, typical square taper would last me between two and a half and three years, occasionally I'd get one that would last longer than that.

But I think the bigger issue is transportation. To put it simplistically, containers are stacked up in places where they can't be filled, and aren't getting back to the places where they can.
How long do you reckon before this issue will be fixed? (am mostly laying off buying stuff at the moment and using my extensive stocks for most of my bikes)

“Extensive stocks” @Blue Hills my new Best Friend :notworthy: .
Your shameless pandering will only pay dividends if you have stopped at 9 speed and mainly standardised on V brakes.
With my many bikes and bits I reckon that even if supplies stopped NOW I could pretty much keep cycling until I dropped, even if I had to embark on a progressive policy of cannibalisation. Have loads of shimano chain rings (many bought from Rose of Germany at very good prices before the shutters came down) for all but the exped bike, lots of other bits, cheap brake pads (UK supplier) to last years. Many of my bikes share bits or can be persuaded to with a bit of bodgery.

Last edited:
With my many bikes and bits I reckon that even if supplies stopped NOW I could pretty much keep cycling until I dropped, ...

Many of my bikes share bits or can be persuaded to with a bit of bodgery.

I'm in the same position, this is why I decided to stick to 26" wheels and V-brakes for the families bikes and it's paid dividends on occasion when something serious broke on a bike and I had an important appointment...

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Your shameless pandering will only pay dividends if you have stopped at 9 speed and mainly standardised on V brakes.
With my many bikes and bits I reckon that even if supplies stopped NOW I could pretty much keep cycling until I dropped, even if I had to embark on a progressive policy of cannibalisation. Have loads of shimano chain rings (many bought from Rose of Germany at very good prices before the shutters came down) for all but the exped bike, lots of other bits, cheap brake pads (UK supplier) to last years. Many of my bikes share bits or can be persuaded to with a bit of bodgery.
7 , 8 and 9 speed . All Shimano . Dual pivot cantilever and cable disc but no V brakes . I have 3 fixed wheel bikes , so I could definitely keep one going by robbing parts .
If I get desperate and shameless pandering doesn’t work , I can also do sycophantic grovelling .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Reading the many comments in this and other threads, most of which I couldn't begin to argue with not that I wish to, my long-term relationship with and support for my LBS is paying dividends.

I'm in no way critical of others but 20 years of supporting the same LBS, yes paying a bit extra, means I've yet to experience shortages for my high-end, disc braked, 105 bikes.

I do believe there is a lesson here. Low cost is not always a great investment.

Dale 1956

I wanted a new 11 speed chain, I usually order KMC. Just about everywhere is sold out or wanted far more than I was prepared to pay. I ended up buying standard Shimano chain at probably double the normal cost. Worrying I might need to change 2 or more chains in the near future I bought 3. Hopefully next year prices will normalise and availability is plentiful
Better get your self a big jar of Vaseline and use a lot of it if you have to take your bicycle in to a shop now days ( LOL ) this is why I do my own work but I still keep a jar of good old Vaseline ready when I get ready to order parts now days!

davidphilips

Veteran
Think lots of bike parts may get even more expensive with the magnesium supply shortage in China as its vital for alloy parts.

What i have found out no mater what spares i have theres always some part that i will need and end up paying silly money for it, At present have 12 bikes all in vgc and some spare wheel sets,cables,chains etc but i am quite certain that i will end up buying again before parts return to reasonable prices (if ever)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
New chain has restored my turbo bike to quiet operation :smile:

I was beginning to think my cassette was worn to a point that it was partly the cause creating the rough running. Ive got enough spare cassettes to rob particular cogs

Tom B

Guru
There's a shortage of many parts and, with the inevitable result, that prices go up.

I'm fortunate to keep enough of most parts (tyres/chains/cassettes/bottom brackets/components) in stock for 12-18 months, but beyond that it'll be interesting.

Me too but on far less exotic stuff than you. I was paying £5 each for kmc z8c chains and £12 for cassettes. You can double that now.

Pre covid I had about 8 chains and 3cassettes.

I'm out of new cassettes and down to 2-3 chains.

I've bought a couple of cassettes of eBay that are used but you wouldnt know and slapped a Chinese copy on the nephews bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
How much do you expect to pay for a chain normally? I just checked and an eight speed chain from Rose starts at 8,95€ available online (noticeably not in one of their walk-in stores) which is 7.55GBP. 11 speed is admittedly a bit more pricey at 17.95 for an immediately available one or or 15.13 GBP if you can wait.

You can get KMC 9 speed for £10.50 , which isn’t too bad, but not as cheap as pre brexit and pre covid. I currently have 5 chains in my stock which for my recumbent will take me through another 2 years before needing to buy more.

I have two cassettes and a full set of spare chain rings to fit as and when as well. Generally I try and replace chains before cassette or chain rings need doing.

Tyres wise I have robust ones for winter and nicer ones for summer. They should last a while barring some bad pot hole encounter that slices the tyres.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I had to buy a new Shimano 105 RD700 rear mech today.

Seemed to be in stock pretty well everywhere round Cardiff, was cheapest at Tredz (£46.99). Oddly, was most expensive at Halfords (£59.99), who own Tredz.

I'm not sure what sort of price that would have been before the pandemic, but I suspect not very different. I believe the RRP is £55.

Top Bottom