Got a 2nd puncture within a month?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I guess you are in a bit of a dilemma. You won't master repairing a puncture without taking the tyre off and having a go at putting it back on. But if that is the issue and you don't succeed, then you are faced with another trip to the LBS and more cost.

So you need a safety net. Either a friend acquaintance who could be with you to guide you. Or find an old wheel you can practice on. If you were anywhere near gravesend, I would gladly give you an old wheel to practice on. Maybe some chatters live near to where you are London or Edinburgh?

Good luck
I am in Edinburgh now, but I tend to travel between the two every now and then.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I am in Edinburgh now, but I tend to travel between the two every now and then.

Calling @Pat "5mph" - are there any of your Belles on Bikes in Edinburgh that could help out please?

@Anonymous1502 this is the local group: https://www.facebook.com/EdinburghBelles/

AND there's here - who do online interactive puncture fixing sessions in Edinburgh: https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeStationEdinburgh/ booking here https://thebikestation.org.uk/fix-your-own-bike-online/

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Context counts for a lot too. In 1700ish mostly dry road miles I've had no zero punctures on the Boardman; while in 2200ish mixed miles (mostly road but a bit of bridleway etc) I've had six; three on each tyre, two through penetration and four through pinches - all picked up on the maybe 5-10% of the riding that was done off-road.

As much as I can't be arsed currently, I've certainly feeling the argument for tubeless on the gravel bike!

slime in the inner tube. Will still go down but it will hold (normally) when you pump it up. And of course Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had three or four on an MTB ride once, each one in a different place (thorns). It was a nice day, which was just as well as most of them needed an actual patch!

boydj

Legendary Member
First step to avoiding punctures is to have decent tyres (as mentioned above), then have a track pump with a gauge to ensure that they are at the correct pressure to avoid pinch punctures. If you do get a puncture always make sure you have found and eliminated the cause.

Mike_P

Guru
Autumn is the worse time of the year with all the fallen foilage including sharp thorns although I would prefer a puncture to the thorny leaf that fell onto my handlebar and which then resulted in a thorn in one finger a couple of weeks back.

It's also hedge cutting season. Pay attention to the country lanes you're using.

+1 for the Schwalbe Durano tyres. I have them on my hybrid, which at the moment, is the bike I'm using the most. It's a shame I'm nowhere near you, because I'd be more happy to help you out - one girl to another.

Another thing I'd suggest and that no one has really mentioned here, is to look ahead and scan the road / path as you're riding (that too, comes with experience, don't just look at the road immediately ahead of your front wheel), and actively avoid any cr*p wherever possible. Of course, it's more difficult in an urban setting when you have traffic to contend with and you can't always swerve out to avoid stuff, but do try to not ride over glass or debris if you can help it. Keep at least three feet away from the gutter and the edge of the road, and likely you will stay away from the worst of the dodgy stuff.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Anonymous1502 getting one to one help is difficult at the moment in Scotland because we are not allowed to visit each other indoors.
Outside turned freezing!
Best bet for you is to watch a few You Tube videos, then practice at home.
Message the Edinburgh Belles on Bikes on their Facebook, check all the local cycling pages too, because some have started offering online bike mechanic courses.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you can, try removing and replacing the tube without removing both sides of the tyre. Its far easier than trying to reseat both sides of the tyre.
Having had a couple of tubes go boom when I first changed a tube having trapped between tyre and rim :ph34r:, I now carry an old Magnum lolly stick with the tyre levers and once I’ve got the tyre on, I run the edge of the stick all the way round between tyre and rim on both sides of the tyre to check there’s no trapped tube

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've had two in a week, valve-side. The rim tape looks good and there is no obvious cause. Will change it anyway. It corresponds exactly with a change to 25mm tyres from 23mm, so the tyres nay be partly to blame, maybe displacing the tape. It's a weird one.

boydj

Legendary Member
+1 for the Schwalbe Durano tyres. I have them on my hybrid, which at the moment, is the bike I'm using the most. It's a shame I'm nowhere near you, because I'd be more happy to help you out - one girl to another.

Another thing I'd suggest and that no one has really mentioned here, is to look ahead and scan the road / path as you're riding (that too, comes with experience, don't just look at the road immediately ahead of your front wheel), and actively avoid any cr*p wherever possible. Of course, it's more difficult in an urban setting when you have traffic to contend with and you can't always swerve out to avoid stuff, but do try to not ride over glass or debris if you can help it. Keep at least three feet away from the gutter and the edge of the road, and likely you will stay away from the worst of the dodgy stuff.

On all roads, but particularly urban roads, riding in the line where the nearside tyres of the cars will run gives you the best chance of avoiding puncture-causing debris since it will be picked up or swept aside by the car tyres.

If you come across hedge-cutting, stop, turn round and find another route. I've seen club runs decimated in these circumstances before anyone realised what was happening.

Top Bottom