Got a 2nd puncture within a month?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKHiker

Regular
Presuming the punctures are on the outer aspect of the tube (not caused by something on the rim) and you've carefully checked the tire to make sure whatever caused the first puncture was removed, seems like bad luck.

I use a bright light to inspect the tube and run my bare hand along it. Sometimes you can feel what caused the puncture before you see it. Anti puncture tire liners work pretty well too

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

@Anonymous1502 when you are in London, what area are you in? There are plenty of people down here who could show you how to do it.
I had to leave London to get back to uni in Edinburgh

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You've essentially got four options:-
Learn to be self-sufficient and fix things yourself.
Get used to having to walk a long way every time you get a flat.
Run with solid tyres like Tannus.
Give up cycling.

You're a grown-up, so make your choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Give up cycling.

Fifth, join ETA...to replace 2 ...

(cycle rescue rather than Basque Separatists :whistle:)

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Give up cycling.

For now I am taking a break from cycling. Only using the bike to commute to lectures.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

@Anonymous1502 getting one to one help is difficult at the moment in Scotland because we are not allowed to visit each other indoors.
Outside turned freezing!
Best bet for you is to watch a few You Tube videos, then practice at home.
Message the Edinburgh Belles on Bikes on their Facebook, check all the local cycling pages too, because some have started offering online bike mechanic courses.
Thank you, I will look into Edinburgh belles on bikes. My uni cycling club hasn't been very good so far. There is only 1 organised ride per week which clashes with my tutorials. Haven't managed to find anyone to go cycling with on the weekend. Might join a different cycling club. :sad:

Thank you, I will look into Edinburgh belles on bikes. My uni cycling club hasn't been very good so far. There is only 1 organised ride per week which clashes with my tutorials. Haven't managed to find anyone to go cycling with on the weekend. Might join a different cycling club. :sad:
Have you messaged the Belles to see if anyone fancies going out on a Sunday ?

I find it hard to believe they're riding just once a week. That won't get you very fit.

Stonepark

Über Member
Schwable Durano or even Marathon Plus, depending on your route and debris you might be better with a more puncture resistant tyre (though heavier) which can stand thorns, etc better.

Lovacott

Über Member
It's also hedge cutting season. Pay attention to the country lanes you're using.
I've had a couple of punctures in the mornings when it's been dark after running over brambles from cut hedges.

In the evenings at the moment, I can see the cuttings in advance and avoid them. The wet weather we are having will soon rot them down so they shouldn't be a problem in a week or two.

Both punctures were slow enough for me pump in some air and limp into work. I fixed them once I arrived.

Puncture repairs are pretty simple things to do but the critical thing to remember is to remove whatever caused the puncture in the first place.

I couldn't begin to guess how many punctures I've repaired in my life, but it must be up the hundreds. I collect antique puncture kit tins as a bit of a stupid hobby.

Top Bottom