Got a flat tyre ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

Went for a ride, really enjoyed it till my rear tyre went flat.

Pulled over to repair it. Two cyclists went past, asked if I was OK, I said fine thanks and they rode off.

15 mins later I still could not get the tyre off the bike, I was cursing and swearing but it didn't help.

Another 15 mins went by without any luck. I had to ring my girlfriend to pick me up.

In the 30 mins by the roadside I was asked for directions three times but nobody asked if I was OK (apart fron the cyclists at the beginning).

So, I'm at home but it took me ages to get the tyre off. The levers I used were, Park Tools. I used some cheapy levers and that speeded things up a little.

I changed the tube but it took at least 30 mins to get the tyre back on.

I've changed many tyres in the past but never had this many problems.

Could it be the levers were crap or being a new bike/tyre?

I'm really confussed on this.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Some tyre / rim combinations are a bitch. There are a couple of tricks that help, and things like the VAR tyre levers exert more leverage, but still some combinations are just a pain in the arse.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Perry, I sympathise. There are certain tyre/rim combos that are almost impossible, but I find b%^$$£", f(*?>::*&^ and t(($+"££$ seem to work.:smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
At home it helps if you sprinkle talc around the rim of the tyre - it's a natural dry lubricant. I have found with very tight wire rim tyres, that if you talc first then get a lever under and slide it along, it's easier than trying to start one lever then a second, if you see what I mean.

Kevlar bead tyres are much easier!

Moonlight

+1 Kevlar beads.

My entry level stock tires we're a b*tch. but the new ones are little puppys =]

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
On the subject of p*******s, Mrs A recently suffered a rear flat caused by a hawthorne spike. This went trough the p******* protection layer of a Continental something or other tyre. Makes me think that such "protection" is so much marketing hype.

shimano

I kid you not but I use three plastic levers that came in a set from Asda or Tesco or similar. Get one lever under the tyre bead and hook it onto a spoke and then use the other two to work your way round to left and right. As said above leave one side of the tyre on and refit the repaired tube fitting the valve first. After fitting most of the tyre back on use a lever or two for the last bit taking care not to pinch the tube.

(ps this is for 'normal' tyres/wheels - nothing fancy:biggrin:)

Maz

Guru
My Spesh All-condition Pros have a Kevlar lining and I got 2 punctures in 2 days. Not good. :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i actually changed the wheelset one bike as it is murder getting the vitorria rubinos off. they don't puncture often ime, but i don't want to carry spare tunes etc only to be unable to get the damn tyre on the rim.

the new (to the bike) wheelset is so much easier to change.

+1 for the park levers too.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I returned to cycling after a gap of about ten years, and for about 18 months after that wrestled with tyres after every p****r*, thinking 'I'm sure it never used to be this hard in the old days.' Then the tyres wore out & I fitted different ones and well I never - with the new ones it's so easy peasy it's ridiculous.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
What's a wheelset? A set of wheels (rims?)?
yes, basically a set of two wheels, one front and one back. rims are the round bit where the tyre goes on, the inner bit that holds the cassette is the hub, and you know what the spokes are. you can have wheels rebuilt with a new rim, hub or spokes.

it's inaccurate, strictly speaking, to use the term rims and wheels interchangeably, but people do (and i've done it too before i knew the difference).

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
yes, basically a set of two wheels, one front and one back. rims are the round bit where the tyre goes on, the inner bit that holds the cassette is the hub, and you know what the spokes are. you can have wheels rebuilt with a new rim, hub or spokes.

it's inaccurate, strictly speaking, to use the term rims and wheels interchangeably, but people do (and i've done it too before i knew the difference).
Cheers, alec.

Top Bottom