Got a new hybrid it’s better than my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Ok got a new trek fx 2 flat bar and I’m amazed just done 20 mile bike ride on it no problem best bike I’ve ever had… now slightly confused as my specialized allez I’ve always struggled with, surely that bike should fly I don’t know if it’s the forward leaning which I never got on with or just the more aggressive style frame. I feel I get the need to go fast on my allez so maybe I’m tiring to soon usually after around 10 mile I’ve had enough of leaning forward and start wishing I could sit up more in it. So yes big difference in mileage between the 2 bikes
Is it normal to be able to go more on a hybrid

battered

Guru
It's normal to be able to go more on a bike that fits than one that doesn't. That's why my old slickshod mtb gets so much use.

The road bike should put you in a more aero position so it should be faster for the same effort.

Maybe it's set up wrong or something is rubbing or maybe it's just new product benefit ?

Enjoy the new bike anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The road bike should put you in a more aero position so it should be faster for the same effort.
Yes, faster, but lots of people don't find the "more aero position" as comfortable for as long and I think this discussion is about distance/endurance more than speed.

I'm not sure. After 100 miles on my fastest bike, I would feel more tired and need to stretch more than after 100 miles on my most comfortable bike, but the more comfortable bike would take me longer to ride it.

Lovacott

Über Member

Maybe it's set up wrong or something is rubbing or maybe it's just new product benefit ?

Enjoy the new bike anyway.
I moved my saddle up by 45mm last weekend and it's like I've added a turbo to my legs.

Ok got a new trek fx 2 flat bar and I’m amazed just done 20 mile bike ride on it no problem best bike I’ve ever had… now slightly confused as my specialized allez I’ve always struggled with, surely that bike should fly I don’t know if it’s the forward leaning which I never got on with or just the more aggressive style frame. I feel I get the need to go fast on my allez so maybe I’m tiring to soon usually after around 10 mile I’ve had enough of leaning forward and start wishing I could sit up more in it. So yes big difference in mileage between the 2 bikes
Definitely not, although I had an Allez and it was rubbish on longer rides but slightly too small for me.

You can setup flatbar bikes to the same reach as drop bar cruising position ( hoods). London couriers always used very low flats.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
We can all agree that it is a beautiful thing when a bike fits you just right… thanks to either just dumb luck, careful fitting, or trial & error. I count myself so fortunate to have both a 1997 old school Bianchi mountain bike and a 2009 Trek hybrid (also with flat bars ) that both fit me perfect. I think I may be set for life. (Famous last words?) For now at least, that’s my story and I’m stickin' with it. Enjoy your new ride, @Leemi1982. Let’s see your new ride!

Its odd actually and it could be due to wrong size or bike fit for the road bike. The entire purpose of a road bike geometry and drop bars is for distance and speed. There are no other reasons for it. A hybrid is for more leisurely ride. The drop bar also reduces drag, so less effort for more distance and speed. Over longer distance hands and arms are less likely to go numb compared to a hybrid as the drop bar has 4 hand positions to break monotony.

What it also tells is that you are capable of more longer and faster ride on a properly sized and bike fitted road bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You seem to be saying you can ride further and in more comfort on the Trek than the Specialized.

If so it's simply either the Specialized is the wrong size for you or it's incorrectly set up.

I have four very different bikes all of which are correctly set up. There's a noticeable difference in speed and comfort but none are uncomfortable. I can ride the same distances, only the time varies.

It is strange how you can find a bike which just by accident you can hit upon the right the ride setup. I have done just that with my recent purchase my Holdsworth Avanti. I thought that it was going to be too small for me according to the frame size tables. I usually ride 22.5 to 23.5 inch frames, I think the Avanti is 21inch. I just put a new long seat post and saddle on at a guessed height, set off for a ride and found that the riding position to be almost spot on , I raised the saddle half an inch after my test ride and found that it seems perfect . I can happily ride on the bends for my ride without the need to keep changing position . I have tried a few bikes with flat bars and find that after a while of riding that my hands can become numb or achy.
I will have to measure the distances on the Avanti and compare them with my other bikes to see if the dimensions transfer and replicate the same experience .

Top Bottom