Got held up on the way in this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
...by a bendy bus. It was being reversed out of the depot, and I don't think the driver had reversed an articulated vehicle before. His (or it might have been a she actually) banksman had stopped the traffic for him/her, so we all had a great view as he/she backed a bit, realised the bus was jack knifing, pulled forward a little, backed again, on the same lock, so the bus started to jack knife, so forward again, and back, on the same lock again.... The temptation to jump of my bike shouting, "for god's sake, right hand down, let ME do it", was quite strong.

When I eventually snuck past, the traffic the other way was backing up nicely.... Shouldn't laugh, I guess I've been there myself with a trailer, but really, if one way doesn't work, don't just repeat it over and over!

i had a great episode yesterday when i drove into work. just missed catching the green lights turning right from the filter lane so me and a couple of cars in front had to wait for the next chance. the woman in the silver sporty MR2 in front of me decided to do her eye mascara, figuring she'd have about a minute or so to do it. she got too intent and failed to notice the lights had gone green.

cue her panicking and trying to get going, stalling the car 4 times while she did so. i was laughing my head off behind her and then she tried to drive away really fast but i made sure i caught up to her while she gave embarrassed looks in her mirror. which worked out well as we turned into the same business park, ha ha!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
And here's the video....

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BPO6024YKOU

To be fair, I think there was limited space on the other side due to parked cars. But it was a classic case of just going back and forth on the same lock and wondering why it never worked...

The oncoming traffic was queueing all the way to the lights at the end, and while I waited at them - god knows how long it took to get out. It was at least all clear when I went past at 6pm, 8 hours later...

Great! I like the vigorous headshaking. He or she needed to take it back in and start again, following the trailer round a bit sooner next time. You're right, it needed "right hand down", but a little bit sooner.
The thing that caught me out when I first started driving artics was not leaving enough space to swing the cab into once you've got the trailer roughly where you want it. I think that's what had happened here. And the van at the start is absolutely typical, I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly reversed into someone who's tried to cut behind my trailer like that.:becool:

Canrider

Guru
LOL the shaking of Arch's head at about 1:54!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
Great! I like the vigorous headshaking. He or she needed to take it back in and start again, following the trailer round a bit sooner next time. You're right, it needed "right hand down", but a little bit sooner.
The thing that caught me out when I first started driving artics was not leaving enough space to swing the cab into once you've got the trailer roughly where you want it. I think that's what had happened here. And the van at the start is absolutely typical, I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly reversed into someone who's tried to cut behind my trailer like that.:becool:

I'm glad I was right. I have driven a van and trailer, and I have done reversing with them, so I felt I was allowed to comment, although I by no means got it right every time. And space was limited. But the driver really looked (it's not so clear on the video as it was for real, the driver kept hanging out of the window to look back) as if he/she had never reversed something like that before, and the banksman wasn't helping in the slightest, just waving his arms a bit.

I sort of forgot the camera, the headshaking was my real reaction to how wrong they were getting it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ah an actual bendy bus as opposed to a FTR. Comedy. The problem is if that's James St is that in the olden days a driver could have got away with that for hours without holding up traffic but now it's a busy route it's a different matter! I suppose the driver can only improve...

Top Bottom