Got my new helmet camera!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday the rest of my new helmet camera set up arrived (Archos 404 and helmet camera attachment) :smile::becool:

So this morning was it's first test and here is some example footage of me cycling through the Clyde Tunnel (there's a silly cyclist at the end if you hang on in!)

The ATC was pretty poor down there due to the low light levels (I might put some footage on for comparison) but the Archos almost seemed to have too much light down there!

So far I am quite impressed (I should be as it cost a good bit more than the ATC2000!) and I especially like the time stamp feature (although the date is US format :sad:) The sound quality is also much much better than the ATC. The camera is a lot smaller and at the moment fixes onto a headband that fits under my helmet. I may purchase a helmet fixture at some point.

I just need to fix my old ATC unit to the back of my bike and I will be fully covered!!

I should like to point out that I would have gone up the hill faster if it wasn't for the other cyclist and any heavy breathing you hear must be from the other chap...;):smile:

Charlotte_C+ :-)

The video quality looks very good!:sad:

wish i could afford one now lol. how can you make the setup waterproof though?;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The camera itself is pretty well sealed so I can't see rain affecting that too much. There is a microphone/controller that at the moment I have on my bag strap. If it rains I will have that under my water proof jacket, although I have heard of it being used in the rain.

The archos itself will sit in my backpack which has a raincover. For the length of my journeys (20 mins each way) this should be enough. Of course in Glasgow it will be fully tested!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
Nice one chum! Very bad for my level of temptation though. Can't say I'm impressed.

Sorry about that!

It certainly produces a much smoother video than the ATC and it is a lot lighter and more discrete, although this may be a disadvantage. I also noticed that because it has a wider field of view I appear to have sped up considerably (I always thought the ATC made me look slow!)

Oh and because I was wearing the new camera today, traffic was really heavy and I sped past many many cars........

Have I sold it to you yet??!:sad::smile:

Seriously though it will take a wee while to suss the thing out and to fully compare it to the ATC. I will have to make a trip with both cameras attached to provide a direct comparison. Assume I can lift my head off the floor...;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, the footage looks great, much better quality! Can you host some unreduced footage on your own webspace somewhere so we can directly compare? If you don't have space, I'll volunteer some temporarily.

You'd not be carrying as much as Lucas Brunelle then!!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I haven't ever had the time to set up any web space of my own. If you PM me I could place it on an ftp server for you to pick up (although I am off to a meeting now so it would be later this afternoon.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Seriously though it will take a wee while to suss the thing out and to fully compare it to the ATC. I will have to make a trip with both cameras attached to provide a direct comparison. Assume I can lift my head off the floor...;)

neck brace?:biggrin:

Does look good. Not that I'm in a position to be spending anything just now. Still, by the time I have any surplus cash, such cameras will probably be small enough to implant under the skin and be powered by body heat...:sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ahem...have you had any thoughts about flogging the old camera?

Yes I thought £200 would be reasonable....;)

Seriously though I want to try placing the ATC on the back of the bike to get a rear view, so unless my finances become tighter than they are (which is possible) I won't be selling at the moment. Sorry!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User, I think I might consider selling my ATC after all. It is obviously used, has a bit of broken plastic in the battery cover (but it still works as my videos can testify to and I will try and fix the plastic bit better if I sell it).

I would also need to look out the other attachments. I have the helmet velcro attachment I use, but I will need to look for the handlebar attachment and the rubber strap attachment (which is rubbish anyway). Not sure where they are though :ohmy:

I'll look over the next week or so to make sure I have everything. If I do sell would you be interested User ?

I would include the SD card I have (2Gb Sandisk II) as well, and I think £45 inc P&P would be reasonable. Would you be interested?

the dragster

hi magnatom i just got my set up ready today its an archos 405 + archos helmet camera. i liked your video so went and bought the parts not cheap but good alot better that atc anyway. thanks from dragster

OP
OP
M

magnatom

the dragster said:
hi magnatom i just got my set up ready today its an archos 405 + archos helmet camera. i liked your video so went and bought the parts not cheap but good alot better that atc anyway. thanks from dragster

Glad you like it. It works well for me and the footage is very usable. If you have purchased it for filming incidents, I hope you don't have too many to film! :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
mag, teetering on a 2000, it looks a bit bulky side mounted on the helmets, is it?

is the weight a nuisance or is it something you don;t notice after a bit

I have no idea what your new one looks like in action, any chance of seeing it on the hat? tad pricey for me though I fear

ta

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
mag, teetering on a 2000, it looks a bit bulky side mounted on the helmets, is it?

is the weight a nuisance or is it something you don;t notice after a bit

I have no idea what your new one looks like in action, any chance of seeing it on the hat? tad pricey for me though I fear

ta

The 2000 is a little heavy with the batteries in and it did drag my helmet to one side a little, but you do get used to it. Although my commutes are only 5 miles each way, if you have a long commute you might notice it more.

Have a look at my TV appearance ;)

You'll see my newer camera on my helmet. I actually don't wear it like that. It sits on a headband just under my helmet, but the cameraman complained that he couldn't see it on film when I wore it like that!:ohmy:

Of course if one of the helmet camera companies wanted to sponsor me and give me a nice new pov.1 (and get some good publicity no doubt:biggrin:) I would raffle my current set up for charity and who knows Tynan you could win it! :biggrin:

the dragster

hi tynan this is the dragster here i personally got the atc 2000 but it is bulky so i went and bought the archos system that magnaton has it is way better system but costs about £200.00 in total so if u want a good system i would recommend it. if you want a cheap day cam go for the atc 2000. hope that helps you decide.

Top Bottom