Got some helmet cam footage of YOUR commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Clefty, I love that music. Perfect for cycling...

I haven't had too much trouble with contrast, except for the odd time when it takes a second to readjust to a sudden bright or dark bit (going under a bridge maybe). I wonder if, like you say, the amount of sky was having an effect. I had to fiddle with mine over a few trips until I got the angle right - too much sky one day, too much tarmac the next... :rolleyes:

The pixelation is probably due to the contrast, as you suspect. I find that the shadows have more obvious pixels than the bright bits. And Youtube does compress it a lot.

Cool, for an outsider like me, to see the bridge up! I like the little posse of bikes gathered at the gate ready to go...:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Clefty, what's the name of the track?

clefty

Arch its called 'The Staunton Lick' by Lemonjelly, its one of my favs, guaranteed to cheer me up and think of sunny things when I hear it :-)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I went for the helmet mount this morning, but had the same problem with the camera giving me a double beep and turning itself off after about 10-15 minutes, I'm not sure if its the media or not. I'm using a Kingston 2GB SD card. I reformatted it this morning so will try again on the way home, then try another card.
Was annoying as had a really nice ride in today and a comedy moment on the Clapham Road with a drunk wandering into the road, doing a little dance trying to dodge pinball like between cyclists before finally freaking out and running back to the kerb, I couldnt shout at him, I (and the other 4-5 cyclists with me) was laughing too much

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers for that! Might see if I can track it down... It is great.

The turning off thing sounds like what it does when the battery runs out, or the card fills up - odd, it shouldn't happen so soon. Some others have said the camera is fussy about the type of card - I've had no problem, maybe I've been lucky. Couldn't tell you offhand the make of card...

I assume you found the slip of paper in the instructions dealing with what FAT format it needs to be in? (have I got that right?) It's all a mystery to me, this tech stuff, I just follow instructions....

Clefty,

It does sound like a battery problem to me, as this happened to me at the start as well (although it was winter so the batteries were getting cold!)

What batteries are you using?

clefty

Defo not the card filling up as when I turn it back on it happily states that it has plenty left on the card.
I'm going to put new batteries in it today as admittedly the ones I did put in I stole from the stationary cupboard at work, and they weren't in the box ;-)
Luckily being a geek for a living I have a somewhat disturbing knowledge of FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS, EFS..I could go on but you're getting sleepy I can tell..

clefty

hmm new batteries, reformatted card (in fat32) just left it on my desk to record again, i just checked and its turned itself off again, its almost as if its an auto shut down - its weird. got about 700mb of footage, going to try again this afternoon and try a different SD card tonight. I wish i could catch it at the moment it turns off and see what the screen says..

just uploaded it, I got bang on 45 minutes of footage..hmmm

domd1979

Veteran
Needs formatting in FAT/FAT16 according to the instructions addendum that came with my ATC2K. Apparently it might not work properly with FAT32.

Someone mentioned on another thread having problems which were solved by bunging in a SanDisk Ultra card in. No expert on the technicalities - but guess the memory card has to be able to keep up with the rate that data's been thrown at it?

clefty said:
hmm new batteries, reformatted card (in fat32) just left it on my desk to record again, i just checked and its turned itself off again, its almost as if its an auto shut down - its weird. got about 700mb of footage, going to try again this afternoon and try a different SD card tonight. I wish i could catch it at the moment it turns off and see what the screen says..

Arch

Married to Night Train
domd1979 said:
Needs formatting in FAT/FAT16 according to the instructions addendum that came with my ATC2K. Apparently it might not work properly with FAT32.

Yeah, that was what I meant... I just remember the fact that it was an addendum made me think "Oh, I could have missed that.."

clefty

*note to self, must read manual properly*

I'll give that a go and hang my head if it works perfectly..I can't help it I never read manuals I work in IT its a bad habit we have...

Arch

Married to Night Train
clefty said:
*note to self, must read manual properly*

I'll give that a go and hang my head if it works perfectly..I can't help it I never read manuals I work in IT its a bad habit we have...

If it makes you feel better, it wasn't in the manual, it was on a separate slip of paper...

clefty

i think i'm cooking on gas now *relief* , I seem to get more than an hour on full quality though, well it gets to the hour and the clock stops, but if i hit the stop it tells me I have another 53 minutes.. am just recording another block again to see how much I actually get. Whats the max times you guys have had on a 2gb card?

Clefty,

I get about an hour for 2Gb, certainly not much more. What were you filming at the time? If you were filming a blank wall it might be correct, I think it codes the images using Motion-jpeg. Therefore, if there is no motion between the frames you could significantly extend the time it can record!

I assume you move a little when you cycle...;);)

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Clefty,

I get about an hour for 2Gb, certainly not much more. What were you filming at the time? If you were filming a blank wall it might be correct, I think it codes the images using Motion-jpeg. Therefore, if there is no motion between the frames you could significantly extend the time it can record!

I assume you move a little when you cycle...:ohmy:;)

I dunno, there are some days I barely seem to move at all when cycling - at least I'm getting overtaken by every other bugger...;)

I think I get about an hour too, never quite checked accurately.

clefty

ah that would make sense, I was just running a test film to make sure it didnt cut out on me again - so yes just filming my office which is fairly sedentary at the best of times ;)

and yes I do move a bit when cycling, although not as fast as the film suggests :ohmy:

Top Bottom