Got stung on my tongue - ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
No, if you are allergic, your throat can close off even if you are stung on the toe, but localised swelling happens to everyone, at the site of the bite. I think most people would survive a wasp sting to the tip of their tongue, but at the back of the throat, with repeated stings especially, anyone could be in trouble. Sensible you stayed with friends until you knew for sure :okay:. People can develop allergies to be stings, so it's always good to be cautious.

(I'm somewhere in the middle: my immune system overreacts to stings and bites, but the reaction is localised which means there is no cause for alarm)
Looks like the sting was towards the front of the tongue to me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thankfully I wasn't far from where a few friends are, so I cycled there and stayed with them for half an hour so that if I had a reaction I was with others. The next wasp I see is really gonna get it..
Thats not fair to take it out on all wasps. Thats like saying one politician has ripped us off so they are all rotten.

Re-think......kill all the little barstewards

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh yes I remember reading something on the web about tackling wasps' nests. It said: "First check that your escape route is clear...."

Gti Junior got stung on the shoulder when he was a wee lad and I remmbered something I had seen in South Africa; went and found an old syringe, pressed the nozzle over the small puncture and the forming white blister and withdrew the plunger. A tiny bead of venom appeared in the syringe and GtiJ stopped whining and said it had stopped hurting. I was quite impressed with myself!

A couple of wasp stings I've had over the years haven't healed and a hot red swollen patch has lingered on my skin. My Dr explained that wasps are dirty little feckers and the sting will often introduce a secondary bacterial infection, which needs antibiotic treatment.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
True story. Found a wasps' nest in our attic, so told the Mrs I was off to buy a can of the spray stuff to deal with it. Was immediately forbidden to touch it, "I'm going to phone the council" I was told. Quite amusingly lady at the council said "why don't you just get a can of that spray stuff". Back to my plan. Ladder in place, clear run from the nest to the ladder, all doors in the house open to run into the garden. Psyched myself up - close enough to hit the target but not too close to eacape afterwards - I'm well aware how cross they get. Spray - nest instantly disintegrates - run - down ladder, downstairs, out the door. Heaet rate 200 - listen - no buzzing. Give it a few minutes then stick my head indoors -nothing. Back upstairs - silence - quietly up the ladder. Turned out nest was long abandoned and no one home.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
True story. Found a wasps' nest in our attic, so told the Mrs I was off to buy a can of the spray stuff to deal with it. Was immediately forbidden to touch it, "I'm going to phone the council" I was told. Quite amusingly lady at the council said "why don't you just get a can of that spray stuff". Back to my plan. Ladder in place, clear run from the nest to the ladder, all doors in the house open to run into the garden. Psyched myself up - close enough to hit the target but not too close to eacape afterwards - I'm well aware how cross they get. Spray - nest instantly disintegrates - run - down ladder, downstairs, out the door. Heaet rate 200 - listen - no buzzing. Give it a few minutes then stick my head indoors -nothing. Back upstairs - silence - quietly up the ladder. Turned out nest was long abandoned and no one home.
Quick tip - if you're going to spray wasps nests yourself, do it after dark when they're all home and tucked up in waspy beds. HOWEVER, do not use a feck off bright head torch to see what you're doing and wake the little feckers up. DAMHIKT.

Salar

A fish out of water
About this time last year wasps were flying into the attic underneath the barge board towards the corner of the roof.

The roof space is lower at this point and awkward to get into due to cross timbers, pipes etc.

Anyway I climb up into the attic as far as I can go without crawling, complete with a dim head torch.

There's quite a few wasps buzzing around and in the distance I could see a big brownish grey shape hanging off a rafter.

That's enough for me I'm out of here.

Call the pest control company, whom we know, two pest controllers turn up. They have a quick look in the attic, not venturing too far into the void and come back saying that must be the biggest nest we've seen. They the start kitting up, masks overalls, the full works and it was hot.

I leave them to it with me visualizing a giant wasp nest emerging from the attic, thoughts of being a minor celebrity in the local paper cross my mind, holding it and pointing as you do.

They weren't up there long, once they emerged from their suits, dripping in sweat I'm told..........................................................a length of roofing felt had slipped. :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I know there are people in Africa who are starving and we shouldn't complain about food, but personally I prefer my wasps well done rather than rare.

[QUOTE 5274047, member: 259"]My uncle Len, who was a keen coarse fisherman, used to swear by wasp grubs as a bait. He used to use some horrific poison to kill the whole nest and dig out the grubs the day after. I always used to feel sorry for the poor feckers to be honest. Years later, I saw them on sale in Chiang Mai for human consumption, but I was never really tempted.[/QUOTE]

The nest itself makes good groundbait if its smashed into breadcrumbs. When I were a lad we used to look for nests. I remember belting one out of a tree with a brick and running like buggery.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wasp.jpg

Top Bottom