Got the bike today and rode it home :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikeman

Well I did a massive 5 miles today riding the new trek 7.3 fx home!! Not quite as hard as I thought it would be after 20 years of no exercise.a few thoughts and questions and observations ;
1. Gears are so easy these days, not leavers on the frame just buttons to push.
2. Blimey its light.
3. Whoever says hills are fun needs help of some sought.
4. Long slow hills sap your energy more than steeper short ones.
5. I'm really unfit.
6. Kept feeling like I needed to push my bum back on the seat, is this normal? Seat appears to lean forwards is this normal?
7. My right hand got numb pretty quick? Was trying not to use the terror grip.
8. Didn't feel as bad as expected once home, interestingly want to do it again !!
9. Bike looks great in bright red.
10. Cycling into the wind is hard.
11. Driving a car makes everything seem flatter!

Loved the feeling of having made it home

Rural halfwit

well done, great isn't it!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Show us a pic (of your bike) and maybe we can give some feedback on the saddle posn. Suspect it just needs adjusting to be more level. Should cure the sliding thing and possibly the numb hand issue... but not promising anything!

Berties

Fast and careful!
Well done on the bike and getting your first ride in,hills are fun !every hill the next gets easier
There are to many out there to let them worry you!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Show us a pic (of your bike) and maybe we can give some feedback on the saddle posn. Suspect it just needs adjusting to be more level. Should cure the sliding thing and possibly the numb hand issue... but not promising anything!
^^ wot 'e said. My thought was numb hand caused by too much weight on it caused by having to push bum backwards on saddle.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Cycling up hills gets less painful- you'll end up hunting for them, however cycling into a headwind has and always will be a pain!
Keep up the effort, it will pay off.

Cycling up hills gets less painful- you'll end up hunting for them, however cycling into a headwind has and always will be a pain!
Keep up the effort, it will pay off.
Especially when your 15-20 miles from home and home is s.w. of you, open fields and flat (and people say its easy riding on the flat), and you have no other option but to ride, I dont often carry a phone so no bail out option, but when you finish, you think wow I over came that, only to realise the OH couldn't care less.:smile:
So keep it up

Cyclist33

Well I did a massive 5 miles today riding the new trek 7.3 fx home!! Not quite as hard as I thought it would be after 20 years of no exercise.a few thoughts and questions and observations ;
1. Gears are so easy these days, not leavers on the frame just buttons to push.
2. Blimey its light.
3. Whoever says hills are fun needs help of some sought.
4. Long slow hills sap your energy more than steeper short ones.
5. I'm really unfit.
6. Kept feeling like I needed to push my bum back on the seat, is this normal? Seat appears to lean forwards is this normal?
7. My right hand got numb pretty quick? Was trying not to use the terror grip.
8. Didn't feel as bad as expected once home, interestingly want to do it again !!
9. Bike looks great in bright red.
10. Cycling into the wind is hard.
11. Driving a car makes everything seem flatter!

Loved the feeling of having made it home

Inspirational dude, well done!

wmtlynx

Congratulations. If, after the initial excitement period, you get bored of it.... Get the Strava app for your phone and it opens up new levels of enjoyment. Obsession it becomes....

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Where I live is nothing but hills...there are my nemesis and I will crush them!!! CRUSH THEM!!! Ahem sorry...was having a moment there. Well done!! There is no saving you now...you are sucked in mwahahahahaaaaa

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
That statement you made, "Didn't feel as bad as expected once home, interestingly want to do it again !!" No hope for you now, you're trapped. Next thing you'll start doing is looking for hills to go up, if only for the buzz of going down 'em again. Then the hill you did last week that you had to walk up, well, you're not having that, you'll be back this week to nail it. The only good thing about this is that you're not alone, this forum is infested with seekers of inclines, most of whom do need some sort of professional help!

Rayvon

yep know the feeling.I've just bought the bike recently. Used to have what we called a racer about 24 year ago think the furthest i went was about 65 mile in one stink on it, was about 20 then. Cant wait to do that ride again, im hooked.

Top Bottom