Got your poppy yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Watching my son on TV the other night in Commando helped bring it home just how many service personnel get maimed in wars. I always buy a poppy.

jonesy

Guru
I usually buy one. I don't regard wearing a poppy as glorifying war at all- they remind us of the appalling losses that have been suffered by those who have to fight in them. And we should remember them.

U

User482

betty swollocks said:
If only it were that simple!
Suggest you read this analysis from the BBC website.
Gives a quite different perspective.

What a hopeless article! No mention of the fact that Lloyd George himself raged about the incompetence of Haig!

The statistics speak for themselves, and to dismiss them as a "learning curve" is callous nonsense.

Pete

cookiemonster said:
Nope. Have never worn one and never will. I don't celebrate wars started by self serving politicians. And as Earl Haig wasone of the biggest mass murderers IMO, why should I wear or contribute anything with his name attatched.

And i don't like being guilt tripped into doing things either. :blush:
User482 said:
I seem to remember that when I was a kid, the poppy used to have "Haig fund" printed on the centre - what's the link?
The poppies no longer have "Haig Fund" inscribed on them, as far as I know. This was always controversial.

I shall probably put money in the tin if it passes my way, but have never worn the poppy. It isn't a simple choice, but I wonder how many people suppose that the tragic ongoing conflicts in today's world can really be overcome by mere symbolism. As I said it's a tough call. Everyone should however have the choice and not be unduly coerced.

Top Bottom