Gotta love Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

Called my local branch today to order a new bottom bracket for my Carrera Virtuoso as the original is knackered after only 2000ish miles.

Thought I'd get the slightly better Shimano UN54 version size 68 110

They helpfully said -

"Sorry we haven't got that size but we do have the next size up"

me - "well that'd be lovely but it's the wrong size...."

Halfords - "it'll only be a little bit out"

Brilliant :biggrin::wacko:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
They probably thought it was something that holds the saddle on.

Redvers

Would that be English Fred or Italian Fred?

Why would anyone buy anything from Halfords when we are spoilt for choice with quality online Bikestores?

OP
OP
R

robz400

ok i realise it was probably my fault for going there in the first place, but in my defense I had already called two lbs's and neither had the parts!

All worked out ok thought found it on chainreaction.com for half price, lovely :angry:

Plax

Guru
Redvers said:
Would that be English Fred or Italian Fred?

Why would anyone buy anything from Halfords when we are spoilt for choice with quality online Bikestores?

1) Carrera's & Boardmans are very good makes of bike
2) You can see the bikes in the flesh and try them out (same applies with LBS of course)
3) You can pick up in store which saves the hassle of taking the day off work to wait for a delivery that may well never arrive as planned.
4) You don't have the hassle of squishing down and recycling a massive bike box and subsequently have the neighbours commenting "I see you've bought another bike".

This is based on your own ability to set up a bike properly yourself afterwards of course. Although to be fair I never had to tweak my last Carrera too much this time, and I of course never bothered to take it back for its 6 week free check.

Redvers

Plax said:
1) Carrera's & Boardmans are very good makes of bike
2) You can see the bikes in the flesh and try them out (same applies with LBS of course)
3) You can pick up in store which saves the hassle of taking the day off work to wait for a delivery that may well never arrive as planned.
4) You don't have the hassle of squishing down and recycling a massive bike box and subsequently have the neighbours commenting "I see you've bought another bike".

This is based on your own ability to set up a bike properly yourself afterwards of course. Although to be fair I never had to tweak my last Carrera too much this time, and I of course never bothered to take it back for its 6 week free check.

Well OK if you’re buying a new bike go to a good lbs which can provide fittings, backup, service and advice. But how often do you buy a new bike.

Carreras & Boardmans are class bikes but in the current market I would contend that they are no better than a dozen other makes price for price.

Robz was just trying to get a new BB, that’s hardly going to cause a packaging crisis.

BBs aren’t really made to last these days, it’s a common replacement part, a company like Halfords should stock every BB for every bike it has ever sold in the last 10 years, always, and know what size of BB goes on what bike, because that’s a safety issue.

In the end he gets his part from CRC, cheaper, readily available in stock,
free delivery and probably does not need to be sign for.

I rest my case.

Redvers said:
and know what size of BB goes on what bike, because that’s a safety issue.

In the end he gets his part from CRC, cheaper, readily available in stock,
free delivery and probably does not need to be sign for.

I rest my case.

Since when is a wrong fitting BB a safety issue? It either fits and your bike works, or it doesn't. No safety issue, unless an ex-cyclist becoming a new pedestrian becomes suicidal :ohmy:

Redvers

2Loose said:
Since when is a wrong fitting BB a safety issue? It either fits and your bike works, or it doesn't. No safety issue, unless an ex-cyclist becoming a new pedestrian becomes suicidal :ohmy:

It’s a safety issue when up to your elbows in grease and having spent 3 hours trying to fit the wrong size BB to your bike you storm back to the Halford’s ‘Sales Facilitator’ and fit the BB where the sun don’t shine:laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
Why on earth one would go to Halfords for a BB beats me? CRC as above or Merlin are the best and cheapest places or Evans using their price match guarantee. I think CRC has them for £11.99 at the mo or is it Merlin? Oh well you can find out for yourself as you are looking for a new one. Can't spoon feed people :biggrin: :ohmy:.

dondare

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Why on earth one would go to Halfords for a BB beats me? CRC as above or Merlin are the best and cheapest places or Evans using their price match guarantee. I think CRC has them for £11.99 at the mo or is it Merlin? Oh well you can find out for yourself as you are looking for a new one. Can't spoon feed people :thumbsup: :wacko:.

Evans have a price match guarantee? What's that, find the most expensive place and we'll top it?
I go to Evans for their service, but not in any hope of getting a bargain.

Top Bottom