Gotten...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
No. I wouldn't have decried it, just as I'm not decrying the apparent resurrection of 'gotten' in British English now. But I probably would have noticed and commented on it, as I'm doing now.
Fair enough.

Didn't mean to jump on my own soapbox!

robjh

Legendary Member
English is a language that is allowed to develop. Spanish (castellano), on the other hand, isn't given much freedom to develop.
I don't know that much about Spain and which body is supposed to regulate the language, but assuming it's similar to the Academie Francaise in France I don't rate its chances of holding up change. The language will develop anyway as its users influence each other in a myriad ways, and the guardians of the 'proper' language always end up by (grudgingly) accepting reality, just a few decades too late.

david k

Hi
[QUOTE 3484499, member: 259"]But who are 'we'? I'm English and I speak it very well, thank you very much. And I have always said 'gotten'.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
I follow you now, I think your experience is fairly exceptional, I was talking in general terms

david k

Hi
[QUOTE 3484776, member: 9609"]why do they put "pair" before Scissors, Stilsons Pliers etc?[/QUOTE]
Stilsons , do you mean pipe wrench sir ^_^

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten

david k

Hi
I don't know that much about Spain and which body is supposed to regulate the language, but assuming it's similar to the Academie Francaise in France I don't rate its chances of holding up change. The language will develop anyway as its users influence each other in a myriad ways, and the guardians of the 'proper' language always end up by (grudgingly) accepting reality, just a few decades too late.
Young people have the largest influence on language there was a program on about it not long ago, I agree change will happen anyway, I don't like it I dare say others didn't but it's going to happen continually

david k

Hi
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Gotten
Your keyboard has 'got' stuck

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Myriad is a noun and an adjective. You can use it as a noun like the word "hundreds"...."there were myriads of people riding to Llandudno"...except it means "extremely large number". Or you can use it like TMN did

winjim

Smash the cistern
Go on, please give us your explanation then, rather than just issuing edicts.
You are aware that I lack the authority to issue either order or edict? I, personally, don't like that usage, which was all I thought mattered in the context of this thread.

Top Bottom