Gotten...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Please stop it. :stop:

That is all. Carry on.
Has anyone watched any episodes of the gadget show on channel five. Amy Williams is currently a presenter. She has a warm clear speaking and is very well pronounced...except for a bizarre inability to pronounce the phrase "ing".

I'm not being snobbish here, it's not that she doesn't speak nicely but she never...ever finishes a word ending in "ing" it's infuriatin, especially when it's happenin all of the time. It's almost like she is doin it for comedic effect

Lullabelle

Banana
Isn't black coffee what you get if you just ask for Americano? To get the milk I always seem to have to say 'with hot milk'.

I drink tea :cuppa:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Anyone who's still got their Santa hat on at this time of year deserves everything they're going to gotten.

santa nobber.PNG

robjh

Legendary Member
I, for one, like the word and use it here on cc, so I am really glad that several others have gotten around to pointing out that it is not an American import but a revival of an old English word! :thumbsup:
Yebbut....if it's been absent east of the Atlantic for several centuries, then it comes back as an import.

I suspect it's probably never gone away in some British dialects but I can't find much real evidence. Did anyone here grow up in an area in the UK where all the old people said 'gotten' ? If so where?

OP
OP
pplpilot

pplpilot

Guru
Anyone who's still got their Santa hat on at this time of year deserves everything they're going to gotten.

View attachment 77273

Like i said in another post a week or so back, I just cant be arsed to change it...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3484009, member: 45"]Try asking for a white coffee in Burger King at Paddington Station....

White coffee please.

Latte?

No. A white coffee please.

That's a Latte.

No it's not. I'd like a white coffee please.

We only do Latte.

OK. I'd like a black coffee please. And some milk.

Of course.

....so the plum behind the counter gives me a black coffee and two of those little cartons of vile uht milk.[/QUOTE]
You went to Burger King, looking for coffee.
Whul, thars' y'all first mistake.
Now, BK has merged with Tim Horton's,
so draw your own conclusions about Canadian Coffee.
I have never gotten a good cup of coffee in a railway station.
Great great great grandfather was from Yorkshire, I might add.

hoopdriver

Guru
Indeed. But we were talking about 'gotten' as the everyday past participle of 'get', which is where there is a change creeping quietly into UK usage.

I found something about 'gotten' in older Yorkshire dialects, but not much.
Do I take it then that had you been born 200 years ago you would have been up on your soapbox decrying the new and vulgar trend of shortening 'gotten' (which had not a damn thing wrong with it) to 'got'?

It is a perfectly acceptable word which is coming around again in the cycle of fashionability.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3484147, member: 45"]The only place to buy coffee at Paddington Station is McDonald's.[/QUOTE]

The only place to buy coffee at St Panc is Sourced Market, the Monmouth Coffee Co organic espresso beans are superb. Everyone else is selling mud.

Top Bottom