Gotten...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3483229, member: 45"]Me: Small tea please.
Starbucks boy: Tall tea?
Me: No. Small tea please.
Him: Tall?
Me: No. Small.
Him: Tall.
Me: Just give me the smallest tea that you do.
Him: That'll be a tall tea.

Idiots. The lot of them.[/QUOTE]
That one works both ways....to my shame I spent the best part of two years ordering a medium coffee with extra milk at the coffee house in my building at work. Every time the polite barista replied "latte" and every time, with a sigh and a roll of my eyes I replied, no just a medium coffee with extra milk please.

Until a mate who came with me once looked at me and said, that is a Latte numpty...I though Latte was a syrup.

I was very apologetic and the Barista was equally forgiving and on every subsequent visit would just ask "usual?"

I've now moved on to an Americano, without milk.

sfi_fencing.gif

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Americano is a word that has changed meaning a bit. It used to mean a long black coffee made by watering an espresso down about 3:1. The milk option came along later.
That's right, although I was trying to be funny.

In truth I order Americano WITH milk. i like the little ceremonial hot jug of milk that comes with it (in the right coffee shops)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Earl Grey tea, infuser, water at 98C, job done.

Oh, and with my moderators hat on :ninja:, can the infants please stop bickering (it is barely Sunday afternoon, cabin fever can not yet be setting in), before the thread needs moderating... :banghead:

Apologies, I could not figure out how to get the past tense of to get into the above.:biggrin:

hoopdriver

Guru
Oh, and with my moderators hat on :ninja:, can the infants please stop bickering (it is barely Sunday afternoon, cabin fever can not yet be setting in), before the thread needs moderating... :banghead:

Apologies, I could not figure out how to get the past tense of to get into the above.:biggrin:
In British English the accepted past participle of get is 'got'.

North Americans use the older 'gotten' in certain particular sentence constructions, but not all.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Isn't black coffee what you get if you just ask for Americano? To get the milk I always seem to have to say 'with hot milk'.
The main thing to remember is that an 'Americano' is usually significantly cheaper than a cappuccino, latte, flat white or all the rest of it, so if you just want a white coffee then an Americano with milk is a sensible way to go about it. I generally avoid asking for 'black coffee' or "white coffee" in that kind of coffee bar, because it often results in the person reaching for a hideous pot of stale filter coffee that has been sitting on a hotplate for four hours and will make you feel ill for the following four. In an aside, what you might really want in a black coffee is what the Italians call a 'caffe lungo' - a black coffee that has a lot more water than an espresso, but all of it is brewed, rather than just diluting the espresso. What's this thread about, again?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The main thing to remember is that an 'Americano' is usually significantly cheaper than a cappuccino, latte, flat white or all the rest
Ah, I am busted.

It's true, I got through a small fortune using the wifi in a few regular coffee shops (between meetings and the like) so resorted to a cheaper alternative...(I don't feel guilty for that as I drink a lot of it) never been sure what a flat white is and I can't drink too much tea in a day, so Americano suits the bill.

Top Bottom