Gotten...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
‘Gotten’ is, in fact, an ancient English word that was in use in England at the time America was colonized by the English. Over the centuries, the Americans kept on using it and the English did not.
SOURCE

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, it is simply a case of old English coming home to roost. Gotten was the past participle of get back in the Middle Ages, but fell out of favour by the 18th century. It survived in the colonies - Canada and America. Now that it has been making a reappearance in British English there is a snobbery about vulgar Americanisms creeping in.

In fact it is just original centuries old English coming back home.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3483229, member: 45"]Me: Small tea please.
Starbucks boy: Tall tea?
Me: No. Small tea please.
Him: Tall?
Me: No. Small.
Him: Tall.
Me: Just give me the smallest tea that you do.
Him: That'll be a tall tea.

Idiots. The lot of them.[/QUOTE]

That'll learn you for going there in the first place. I have been to a Starbucks. Once.

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
I use it when it feels appropriate. It is a perfectly legitimate word.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
While not objecting to the appropriate use of gotten, I'm inevitably reminded of seeing multilingual adverts for boat trips to admire sea caves, for which the German is Grottenfahrts.
Wonder if @pplpilot is still on that upstairs toilet?

hoopdriver

Guru
You did claim, quite some while back, that you are better at put downs than me. Having patiently waited since then for my first oppotunity to evaluate one, I can only say that I am glad I didn't invest too much effort in the exercise.
I don't recall that claim. I wouldn't doubt that I am, but I don't recall saying so. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't expend the effort. Never spend what you can't afford.

Last edited:
Top Bottom