Gower Cycling Festival 18-25 September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The first Gower Cycling Festival is almost upon us. A programme of 18 rides of various shapes and sizes, in one of the most beautiful coastal areas of the country. Rides range from a family potter along the seafront to a 65 mile road ride ranging all over and beyond Gower, and a big mtb circuit of the peninsula with spectacular views.

It would be great to see a few CCers and/or FNRttCers there. Although we have some very respectable hills, I won't pretend any of the festival rides offers a big challenge to fast long-distance road cyclists, but there's plenty of scope for a bit of off-programme whizzing about, and I'd be delighted to have some experienced group riders there to inspire and jolly along the less expert ones.

Oh, and we have some of the best beaches in the country - I am taking the week off and intend to supplement the official festival programme with a programme of watching the sun set over the sea and drinking by a crackling beach fire.

Ride programme can be found here. Let me know if you're planning to come along!

_42898171_bay416300.jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I will definitely be able to do at least one day . The Swiss valley or Kidwelly rides look interesting.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I will definitely be able to do at least one day . The Swiss valley or Kidwelly rides look interesting.

Cool - I'll probably be on the Kidwelly one. Can't do the whole Swiss Valley thing (though I might try to catch up with it somewhere) cos I'm leading a short mtb taster on Cefn Bryn the same day. I did a recce ride to see if the route I had in mind would be suitable for beginners and my companion (who is not a beginner) fell off and broke his ribs on the downhill... All very reassuring!

Banjo

Cool - I'll probably be on the Kidwelly one. Can't do the whole Swiss Valley thing (though I might try to catch up with it somewhere) cos I'm leading a short mtb taster on Cefn Bryn the same day. I did a recce ride to see if the route I had in mind would be suitable for beginners and my companion (who is not a beginner) fell off and broke his ribs on the downhill... All very reassuring!

Great. Look forward to seeing you there then. Hope your friends injiuries arent too bad.Out with Lukesdad the other week he found me a scarier descent than the Parkmill one (by about a factor of 10 ) :ohmy:

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Great. Look forward to seeing you there then. Hope your friends injiuries arent too bad.Out with Lukesdad the other week he found me a scarier descent than the Parkmill one (by about a factor of 10 ) :ohmy:

He's mended now, thanks. We were both a bit rusty on the mtbs. Blimey - at least he didn't make you pedal up it.

Looking to try and be on one of the rides TC, but at the moment it's very busy in work, the nights are getting shorter, the turbo is being dusted off and I've used all my brownie points to get a day off here and there for various other activities (ooh matron!).

......and I ll be in Malta :angry: Have fun and, I hope the weather is kind to you :sun:

You lucky b******! Just as the monsoon season starts too. ;)

Where was this then B? I think we should be told.

Banjo

Looking to try and be on one of the rides TC, but at the moment it's very busy in work, the nights are getting shorter, the turbo is being dusted off and I've used all my brownie points to get a day off here and there for various other activities (ooh matron!).

You lucky b******! Just as the monsoon season starts too. ;)

Where was this then B? I think we should be told.

We came down the Devils Staircase between Llyn Brianne and Abergwesyn. Brakes are pointless,parachutes would be more usefull :ohmy:

15hoajs.jpg

What a lovely peaceful place - far from the madding crowd, where I was happy chatting to sheep - just conversing, not trying to pull the wool over their eyes...
A successful start, and CycleChat fame, with three FNRttC riders in the launch photo! Two of the ride group on Saturday were on unicycles. (A wheel, right? ;) ) They had both recently completed the C to C with another half dozen unicyclists. Uphill, apparently, is no problem as the vehicle lends itself to good body position. Spinning out downhill is a different proposition! :eek::B) - but they were good!
So much beer scenery, the wildlife. The sheep were throwing me - "Baa" they exclaimed. 'Bar' I heard :tongue:

2zi0zk0.jpg

Jane Davidson, The Minister for the Environment, Sustainability and Housing made an impressive speech and punctured the ribbon, to officially launch the week.
A lot of effort to bring this event to fruition; I hope the weather gives its best to help the riders and partygoers. Thanks Gower Cycling Festival - I had a lot of cwrw err...I mean fun! :smile:

http://www.wheelrigh...cyclefest.htm is being updated with decent photos - look out for Colin Charvis who is participating...

http://tinypic.com/a...com/a/2hx83/4 is a selection of snaps.

Top Bottom