GP 5000 Tubeless Long Term

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I have been running GP5000 for about 16 months and completed approximately 6,500km . I have been keeping an eye on the wear indicator and knew that the tyres might need replacing soon. Yesterday when out riding I had what might have been my first puncture; I heard a a noise that sounded like the sealant leaking out, I kept riding in order to spin the wheels and get the sealant to the puncture, in a few revolutions the noise stopped. I rode slightly further and stopped to examine the tyre. I couldn't see where the puncture had been but the tyre had lost pressure, so I pumped it up a bit and then continued a further 40km home with no issue.

I checked the tyre this morning (rear wheel) and the wear indicator is no longer visible so in theory it needs replacing. This may have been the only puncture I have had and it has occurred when the tyre is quite worn. I have not had to repair a puncture in these tyres. I have had no real problems, albeit a bit of learning curve with tubeless but have got it sorted now and know what I am doing. I don't have any issue taking the tyre off the rim and re mounting. I can easily inflate and mount with my track pump and indeed with my frame pump. I have had a slight problem with my valves gumming up making them harder to inflate. I switched from stans racing sealant to Effeto Maripose Caffelatex sealant because the later can be put through the valve rather than taking the tyre off, and i am pleased to say that it sealed the puncture fine yesterday. I also hoped it would lead to less valve gumming but not sure this has been the case.

The front tyre does not need replacing yet, but looking at the wear indicator I would be surprised if it lasts much beyond another 2,000km and maybe less.

Looking at the back tyre it does have some cuts in it but nothing to concern me.

I have used the tyres on lots of lanes and also a fair amount of gravel / poorly surfaced tracks. This may have impacted the wear rate.

I don't know what mileage people expect out of these sort of tyres, but they have worn more quickly than I would have liked. Malcolm at the cycle clinic has also commented that these tyres seem to have a high wear rate; although he says that they are good tyres if you can live with the wear So I don't really know if 6,000km is poor or not for a rear tyre and possibly not a great deal more for the front. When I look on the web there are so many different figures I suspect mileage is very variable and dependent on may variables making it a bit hard to compare.

So would I use them again? Yes i am going to replace like for like without having to give it much consideration. I am sorted with tubeless; the tyres are comfortable and fast; I have not had to mend a puncture; they have coped with a variety of surfaces including off road / gravel. My only reservation is the wear rate seems high but they have lasted me 16 months at the mileage I do so guess I can live with that.

I run 32mm.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
6500km seems more than acceptable to me, the most i've got out of any road bike tyre is about 4000km.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd figure that 6500 km is quite good for a rear tyre.
I find that I get about double from a front tyre, or do when I don't replace the rear tyre with the front tyre, and put a new tyre on the front, which obviously confuses the issue.

Actual wear rate will depend on things like the weight carried (you, bike + luggage), the road surfaces (smooth or chippings), how much power you are putting in etc. I estimated that an alpine camping tour gave about double the wear rate of home use (28 mm gatorskins).

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
I'd figure that 6500 km is quite good for a rear tyre.
I find that I get about double from a front tyre, or do when I don't replace the rear tyre with the front tyre, and put a new tyre on the front, which obviously confuses the issue.

Actual wear rate will depend on things like the weight carried (you, bike + luggage), the road surfaces (smooth or chippings), how much power you are putting in etc. I estimated that an alpine camping tour gave about double the wear rate of home use (28 mm gatorskins).

Yes thanks what I figured; riding on predominantly lanes with poor surfaces and mostly chippings and also gravel tracks will increase the wear rate. Glad to see that the wear rate is reasonable, although I don't think i will get anything like double from the front tyre. Overall, given the wear rate seems acceptable, I am very pleased with the GP 5000 tubeless.

Just completed 10k (km) on my GP5000 and looks like the rear is done:

Only noticed it after what i thought was a puncture this afternoon.... seems that the tyre itself was just leaking through the carcase, added some sealant and pumped it back up and all was good again. And if i remember it's been some while since i topped up the sealant so it's probably my fault for A) not proactively adding more sealant and B) wearing the tyres out....

Just ordered a new set and will be happy to use them again.

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks for posting this. I have 2 x new GP5000 TL awaiting my first tubeless rims from Hunt. I hope to get the same sort of mileage, so good to know! (Although I do have stans sealant ready to go too)

Thanks for posting this. I have 2 x new GP5000 TL awaiting my first tubeless rims from Hunt. I hope to get the same sort of mileage, so good to know! (Although I do have stans sealant ready to go too)

Also using Stans here, just the regular version, not the "Race":okay:

DRM

Guru
Interesting read, I've just bought a second set of wheels for my gravel bike, and a couple of GP5000,in 700x32 size for on road use, the original wheels have some Vittoria Terreno Dry's on for off/on road use, if I get 6,500 Km's out of the Conti's I'll be well chuffed, running them tubed as they were bought in a bundle (2x tyres & 2xTubes) looks like it was a good decision to get them

DRM

Guru
Vittoria Terreno tyres are what I might jump onto next once the Panaracer Gravel SK wear out.
They're good tyres in Dry tread pattern, even in a bit of mud, but get a bit out of their depth in really muddy conditions, but spot on for mixed riding.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I now have a second tubeless set-up, 25mm GP5000s. The bike's about a month old and I've ridden around 300km so far without any problem.

The first one runs 38mm Panaracers. I've done a few 1000km, replaced the rear, and both tyres have plugs. Only once had to stop for a puncture, though.

Milzy

Guru
I have been running GP5000 for about 16 months and completed approximately 6,500km . I have been keeping an eye on the wear indicator and knew that the tyres might need replacing soon. Yesterday when out riding I had what might have been my first puncture; I heard a a noise that sounded like the sealant leaking out, I kept riding in order to spin the wheels and get the sealant to the puncture, in a few revolutions the noise stopped. I rode slightly further and stopped to examine the tyre. I couldn't see where the puncture had been but the tyre had lost pressure, so I pumped it up a bit and then continued a further 40km home with no issue.

I checked the tyre this morning (rear wheel) and the wear indicator is no longer visible so in theory it needs replacing. This may have been the only puncture I have had and it has occurred when the tyre is quite worn. I have not had to repair a puncture in these tyres. I have had no real problems, albeit a bit of learning curve with tubeless but have got it sorted now and know what I am doing. I don't have any issue taking the tyre off the rim and re mounting. I can easily inflate and mount with my track pump and indeed with my frame pump. I have had a slight problem with my valves gumming up making them harder to inflate. I switched from stans racing sealant to Effeto Maripose Caffelatex sealant because the later can be put through the valve rather than taking the tyre off, and i am pleased to say that it sealed the puncture fine yesterday. I also hoped it would lead to less valve gumming but not sure this has been the case.

The front tyre does not need replacing yet, but looking at the wear indicator I would be surprised if it lasts much beyond another 2,000km and maybe less.

Looking at the back tyre it does have some cuts in it but nothing to concern me.

I have used the tyres on lots of lanes and also a fair amount of gravel / poorly surfaced tracks. This may have impacted the wear rate.

I don't know what mileage people expect out of these sort of tyres, but they have worn more quickly than I would have liked. Malcolm at the cycle clinic has also commented that these tyres seem to have a high wear rate; although he says that they are good tyres if you can live with the wear So I don't really know if 6,000km is poor or not for a rear tyre and possibly not a great deal more for the front. When I look on the web there are so many different figures I suspect mileage is very variable and dependent on may variables making it a bit hard to compare.

So would I use them again? Yes i am going to replace like for like without having to give it much consideration. I am sorted with tubeless; the tyres are comfortable and fast; I have not had to mend a puncture; they have coped with a variety of surfaces including off road / gravel. My only reservation is the wear rate seems high but they have lasted me 16 months at the mileage I do so guess I can live with that.

I run 32mm.
Been there done that & changed to these, better wearing feel as good plus cheaper. Slip on rim very easily.
https://www.merlincycles.com/hutchi...ing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=79588&source=PHG

Top Bottom