GP4000S Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a set of 25mm Conti GP4000S tyres, which have been run on 3 separate bikes and in Summer and Winter conditions.

We all know that they are fantastic tyres, but I am just interested in what mileage people appear to get?

Cue the replies saying that it depends on loads of factors, but would still be interesting to hear what people get out of this tyre.

For example, mine have done over 4,500 miles so far, and the wear indicators are still well and truly prominent. It would appear that there are another couple of thousand miles in them. This would appear to be a lot higher than many people get?

I am fancying some Vittoria Corsa G+, with Tan side walls, but the Conti's refuse to wear out!

U

User6179

2500 miles on the back tyre and 3500 miles on the front tyre so an average of about 3000 miles which is more than double that I got out of Schwalbe Ultremos.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I have a set of 25mm Conti GP4000S tyres, which have been run on 3 separate bikes and in Summer and Winter conditions.

We all know that they are fantastic tyres, but I am just interested in what mileage people appear to get?

Cue the replies saying that it depends on loads of factors, but would still be interesting to hear what people get out of this tyre.

For example, mine have done over 4,500 miles so far, and the wear indicators are still well and truly prominent. It would appear that there are another couple of thousand miles in them. This would appear to be a lot higher than many people get?

I am fancying some Vittoria Corsa G+, with Tan side walls, but the Conti's refuse to wear out!

Not meaning to nit pick are you on the original 4000 S or the 4000 S 2 ?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
2500 miles on the back tyre and 3500 miles on the front tyre so an average of about 3000 miles which is more than double that I got out of Schwalbe Ultremos.
Is that total mileage at replacement, or how many so far?

U

User6179

Is that total mileage at replacement, or how many so far?

Total mileage, had about 10 pairs of Gp4000s, a couple have died prematurely with cuts but most have survived till the wear indicators have vanished.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
The original 4000S, as described, but I could have perhaps stipulated such I guess.

Is there a huge difference in durability?

Yes for me anyway I've found the S2's far less impressive and durable than the originals. They seem to cut up a lot easier one rear ripped open on something I never saw or felt during an evening ride. I've had several punctures on them (which I know is luck if the draw). They still roll fantastically so maybe I've just been unlucky.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Interesting info @Eddy @mark st1

It would appear that I am doing well then. Does age of the tyre matter at any point? Mine are about 3 years old, as also been using S-Works Turbo's.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Interesting info @Eddy @mark st1

It would appear that I am doing well then. Does age of the tyre matter at any point? Mine are about 3 years old, as also been using S-Works Turbo's.

I'm on my 3rd rear and 2nd front in about 18 months and approx 2000-2500 miles. Quite a careful rider run them at 100-110 psi.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm on my 3rd rear and 2nd front in about 18 months and approx 2000-2500 miles. Quite a careful rider run them at 100-110 psi.
Your mileage matches with the average online info. I must be very lucky indeed.

I have run mine a mixture of 85 - 110psi, whilst trying out what works best. I have decided to stick with 110psi, as definitely faster despite the current thinking suggesting otherwise.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
About 1500 on the rear, 2500 on the front. My son's just got 300 out of a rear and 500 a front but that's been racing on them.
What am I doing differently then? I push them hard, especially downhill, although not racing.

Are they past the wear indicators when you, and your Son, replace them?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What am I doing differently then? I push them hard, especially downhill, although not racing.

Are they past the wear indicators when you, and your Son, replace them?

His are cut up and the rear's close to the indicator. Note that he's pushing them hard in a race, sliding round corners, accelerating hard, etc.

We also live in a hilly area, which may affect them. At the replacement stage they're close but not at the wear indicator and then the tyres go on the rollers/turbo during winter training to finish them off.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
His are cut up and the rear's close to the indicator. Note that he's pushing them hard in a race, sliding round corners, accelerating hard, etc.

We also live in a hilly area, which may affect them. At the replacement stage they're close but not at the wear indicator and then the tyres go on the rollers/turbo during winter training to finish them off.
Have never raced, so have no idea on the level of punishment they get. Clearly it's huge.

I am getting more paranoid about whether I am missing something. I live in South Wales and there are hills in every direction. Lol

Top Bottom