GP4000S Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Been out to have a good look at the tyres tonight. Found a few grazes and bits of flint. Also found some fraying of the sidewall where the tyre mounts onto the wheel. Not notice fed before, but I dare not pull it. Difficult to show in pics, but just want to run it past you guys.

Reason for my paranoia is that I have the Velothon in just under a fortnight and don't want to risk dodgy tyres.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
20 miles out of the first one before it cut badly enough to warrant not using.
That really is unlucky. Gutted for you.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Bought a batch of 4 in the sale a few years back. Got a measly 600 miles out of one set and the other set blistered and side wall burst after a few rides. Shall never buy GP4000s again.....no matter what the sale price.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Bought a batch of 4 in the sale a few years back. Got a measly 600 miles out of one set and the other set blistered and side wall burst after a few rides. Shall never buy GP4000s again.....no matter what the sale price.
That's interesting. Very much a mixed bag of experience then. Perhaps a dodgy batch, hence the sale?

Mine are 4,500 miles in without issue.

Mr Celine

Discordian
On my Sunday bike my current rear tyre is a GP4000S purchased 11/03/12. My current front tyre is a GP4000S2 purchased 07/12/14.
I can't say for definite when they were fitted (I have another 4000S2 bought last winter still waiting to go on) but I would estimate that the 4000S would have done about 4500 miles on the front and 4500 miles on the rear. I can still see where the tread wear indicators were, though the tread has now worn down to at least that level.
The 4000S2 has done about 4500 miles on the front. (I always put a new tyre on the front and move the front tyre to the back.)

Mr Celine

Discordian
I can still see where the tread wear indicators were, though the tread has now worn down to at least that level.

rear tyre.JPG

Faint circle is still visible in line with the TWI pointer. The other TWI is 20mm below and still shows up well in oblique light. As do the underlying cross plies. I don't think this tyre is long for this world.

froze

Über Member
I've had bad luck with Conti tires, mostly sidewall cuts that I never got with other tires, the most miles I ever got out of one was 1,800 miles but that tire didn't wear out, I got a gash in the tread on that one. I doubt I'll ever go back to Conti, and why should I when there are other tires on the market that are better? The only thing I liked about them was they seemed to feel a bit more plush than other tires but that was due to the paper thin sidewalls. They may have been a bit faster than other tires back in those days according to test, but I couldn't feel it and I wasn't racing so I didn't care about that crap, but today there are other tires out now that are just as fast if not faster. But they're definitely not worth the price they charge for those tires.

Top Bottom