GPS advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nomdeplume

Hi, I want to buy a small gps ; basically a portable map which must show all rights of way, that includes public footpaths, bridleways in the UK and 'chemins ruraux' in France and Europe. Does such a device exist?

numbnuts

Legendary Member

You need to write a list of what you want, then do the research as to what you can obtain from each type

The Garmin / Bryton etc have longer battery lives, poorer screens, but have better water proofing, are more robust and shock resistant

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Things to consider. Budget, do you already have a smartphone, anticipated ride length (long rides, or camping need batteries, shorter phone may be an option).

A Garmin combined with OSM maps from (eg) velomaps would fit the bill. Cheap etrexes available on the web for budget approach. But there are other ways to skin this particular cat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't buy a Garmin eTrex20 unless you are an IT whizz with hours and hours to spend decoding how to operate the fricking thing though. Mine has nearly ended up in the bin several times, and I still have no idea how to do anything at all with it; it's not in the least bit intuitive.
Do you want to sell it? :whistle: :laugh:

Maybe some of the articles HERE would help.

robgul

Legendary Member
My 2p - firstly don't even think about using a smartphone - fragile, not waterproof, battery life is pathetic.

Having started out with a Garmin Edge 200 in the "modern era of GPS" (and various etrex machines since about 2003) I have graduated to a Garmin Edge Touring that I bought in a bundled deal with the Ordnance Survey 1-50,000 mapping for the whole of the UK. [It came from Go Outdoors] Not cheap BUT the finest maps with all the detail you are seeking - IME Google maps, OSM etc have many shortcomings with roads marked that don't exist and those that do not appearing. I've just been using it with Velomaps for Farnce, Germany & Benelux - and the base map that is part of the set up from the Garmin worked a treat.

The one thing I would also add is to make sure that you don't let any Garmin product create a route for you ...the process is seriously flawed with weird routes, motorway cycling, crossing rivers without bridges ... and more!

Rob

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Don't buy a Garmin eTrex20 unless you are an IT whizz with hours and hours to spend decoding how to operate the fricking thing though. Mine has nearly ended up in the bin several times, and I still have no idea how to do anything at all with it; it's not in the least bit intuitive.

I use eTrex 10 extensively for my mountain jaunts. I think the eTrex 20 is the same with colour screen & map import function.

It is a brilliant piece of kit but like you it didn't feel intuitive whilst setting it up.

However, it is very intuitive once you have decided on which screens to display and how you want them laid out. In the field it is incredibly easy to use and with GPS & GLONASS it gets a super fast lock and works in valleys and under moderate tree cover exceptionally well - unlike my Edge 200 this morning!

The supplied instructions are typical Garmin though - pitiful.

I nearly threw mine at the wall but persevered and at some point it 'clicked' with me (following loads of online searching) and it suddenly made sense.

I'd give it a chance if I were you.

Post any ?'s here and I'll try and help.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Hi, I want to buy a small gps ; basically a portable map which must show all rights of way, that includes public footpaths, bridleways in the UK and 'chemins ruraux' in France and Europe. Does such a device exist?

A satmap covers your UK requirements, you can then buy French mapping for it, but you would need to check with Satmap to what detail that goes to.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
The Garmin / Bryton etc have longer battery lives, poorer screens, but have better water proofing, are more robust and shock resistant
Actually, the transflective screen on my Garmin Edge 1000 is really very good. Admittedly it doesn't have the contrast or vibrant colours of a Smartphone screen, but the visibility in bright sunlight is much much better.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Anyone who has or is thinking of buying the Etrex 20 or 30..

I found this guide indispensable HERE
For the bike handlebars?
I'd recommend getting the relevant Ram Mounts...

I use Talkytoasters OS type maps...

contadino

Veteran

Osmand on a phone will do what you want for free.

Try it before shelling out for a Garmin.

If your phone has a poor battery it'll maybe only last 5 or 6 hours, otherwise if the battery is healthy it'll run for many times longer.

OP
OP
N

nomdeplume

Thanks for all your input. I don't have a smartphone and have no plans to buy one. I don't want a device that records my heart rate, blood oxygen or blood sugar, just gives navigation info; so it looks like the OsmAnd is what I need.

Top Bottom