GPS computer for training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
Hiya,

My lad is going great guns with his riding, trains daily with rollers or turbo, and is underway now in his race season.

He wants to log his rides and his training, and I am keen that he starts to use a Cadence able computer as riding with the gear restrictions it is all about the spin.

To this end I thought a GPS with cadence would be the way to go, but am stuck between buying a Bryton Rider 20 that would diplay this info and interact with ANT+ sensors from what I can tell (speed, cadence, heart), or biting the bullet and spending out on a Garmin 500.
I also saw a Mio 105 ant+ which seems to sit in the middle price wise, so it seems 70, 100 or 150 notes.

Do you get what you pay for, or are they all much of a muchness and do the same thing?

(I admit to using a Garmin 200 and also owning a Garmin 605 myself which I am more than happy with - and I am not being tight in trying to find a solution for less, but I know there are going to be other bike related purchases as the season develops and I have to be a bit sensible).

Cheers for any thoughts and experiences,

Johnny

uclown2002

Guru
Garmin :thumbsup:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
mate, you should have seen him at the race last Sunday, he was looking at the other kids on bikes which likely cost 2k upwards (Cannondale, Cervelo, etc all in carbon with Ultegra groupsets) and saying how lovely they were, heck some of them were riding wheelsets that cost 3 times what his Felt bike and Planet X wheels cost in total!
But he knows the score and appreciates what he has - and finished ahead of all bar 4 of them :biggrin:

He doesn't do labels though, he is more intent on looking after what he has and working hard. A regular Charlie Bucket really. Wants nothing, loves what he has.

I try and do my best by him, but that extra £100 for doing it with Garmin could go towards other bike kit that matters more, or to pay for race entry fees. If you see what I mean?

Tough one.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Just an update, today he has become the owner and user of a Bryton Rider 20 with HRM and a Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

So easy to set up, good PC interface, exports to Strava.
He is delighted with it, and I have to say it is every bit as good as my Garmin 200, but has the benefit of Ant+ and being 65 notes with the HRM.

So £100 all in and we will use the money saved for other things :smile:

Top Bottom