GPS switch off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you planning GPS approaches using Localizer Performance with Vertical guidance during your rides?

Drago

Legendary Member
GPS coverage is regularly tinkered with, particularly during annaul naval war games, and it rarely affects domestic users.

Galileo looks great on paper, but the reality is that the block 1 GPS satellites from the 1970s were more reliable than the so called state of the art Galileo birds of today.

Galileo is as pointless as the come. The extra resolution (which theyre having trouble delivering anyway) is of little practical use to non military consumers.

Also the idea of an independent system in the event of war is pointless as most major adversaries, the US, Russia, and even the UK, have anti satellite weapons, something which the EU themselves do not have - in the event of a big shooting war Galileo will very quickly be swatted aside leaving the EU reliant upon a system that has suddenly ceased to exist, and they have no counter-strike ability of their own.

In reality, the EU will always be reliant upon GPS for military use because Galileo is so shockingly unreliable anyway. They'll just never admit it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This doc explains the affected bits that the UK is withdrawing from.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-involvement-in-the-eu-space-programme

Any UK users of the EGNOS Safety of Life (SoL) service should make preparations for mitigating the loss of this service from 25 June 2021. UK users no longer have access to the EGNOS Data Access Service (EDAS).

EGNOS SoL (Safety of Life) is for services to commercial aviation, which I guess what the article in the OP refers to. EDAS is a ground based thing. I don't know who uses it. Surveyors perhaps.
https://egnos-user-support.essp-sas.eu/new_egnos_ops/services/about-sol
https://www.gsa.europa.eu/egnos/edas

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There were 10 people all hanging from a rope on a cliff. 9 men and 1 woman. The rope was about to break and all of them were going to plummet to their deaths unless 1 of them sacrificed themselves and let go of the rope.

They all just held on. Suddenly the woman said that she would let go and sacrifice herself as its what women do. What women are used to doing for their husbands and children without complaining because they are selfless.

After the woman said that, all the men clapped....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There were 10 people all hanging from a rope on a cliff. 9 men and 1 woman. The rope was about to break and all of them were going to plummet to their deaths unless 1 of them sacrificed themselves and let go of the rope.

They all just held on. Suddenly the woman said that she would let go and sacrifice herself as its what women do. What women are used to doing for their husbands and children without complaining because they are selfless.

After the woman said that, all the men clapped....

Second time this has happened. :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom