GPS systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahpink

Im looking into getting one of these, one that can hopefully track cycle routes. currently have a cat eye strada which is okay for mileage etc. can you get ones that measure gradients of hills etc? its my bday at the end of the summer so going to ask for some money towards a decent one. any recommendations would really be appreciated

scook94

Veteran
I just got a Garmin Edge 500, does all you mention and is ideal for what I want. It doesn't have maps but you can create a route and upload it to the device and it allows you to follow the course as a "bread crumb trail". Here's the data on a run I did recently

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35574147

grecinos

Veteran
I bought a Garmin Edge 705 from Amazon.com earlier this year. I love it! I can create routes with turn-by-turn directions and it has all the bells and whistles (ie, Heart Rate, Cadence, Altitude). There's so many things that it can do, you can set it up to display a set 8 things at once and with a click of a button, you can display another set of 8 things. You can choose how many things to display and where to display them. One thing I'd like to mention is this website called ridewithgps.com. It's great! A perfect companion for a GPS enabled cycle/computer. It let's you upload your ride data from your GPS cycle/computer. You can see graphs, ride statistics, the ability to write your comments about your ride, a photo (i've yet to use this option). It's very simple to use and the best thing is it's FREEEEEE! :blush:. They accept donations to help keep them up and running, which reminds me, I will definitely donate a little for their excellent work. You can always use Garmin Connect, but I prefer ridewithgps.com. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Very happy Garmin Edge 705 user here. Although I'm thinking about abandoning Garmin Connect and starting to use SportsTracks instead. The Garmin Connect service has been somewhat flakey as of late and apparently it becomes slow when there is a lot of data on your profile.

rh100

When you say you want to track cycle routes, do you mean you to follow a preset route or do you want to record your route as you go along?

If you just want to record data, route/speed/gradient etc, I use a phone with GPS built in and the Sportypal software, at the end of the route it uploads and you log into the site to see maps and statistics etc, it's free to use aswell.

Beware though, I've found using GPS on the phone is a battery killer, so not too good if you need the phone in an emergency :wacko:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Another vote here for the Garmin Edge 705. I recently moved to this from a Cateye Strada Wireless. I wanted to know more about my rides beyond distance, time, speed and average speed.

If you go for the Edge 705, I'd recommend going the whole hog and getting the Road Performance Package. Yes it's not cheap but you get the heart and cadence monitors plus road mapping on a micro SD card. The Garmin really does need the maps to make it functional (the built-in base maps are crap), so don't skimp on that side of things.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have a garmin etrex vista HCx. It also does what you want. If you want less sensitive logging (not for mapping) and so on you can save a bit of money by getting the lower models.

I think some of the sold maps are a big waste of time and have Openstreetmap on mine, the default ones are appalling. You can also have cycle routes from the opencyclemap, they are free and a piece of cake to put on.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Absolutely agree with Marinyork.

I have an eTrex Legend HCx and use OSM mapping.
Really based on recommendations from YACF, the Legend supposedly had best battery life of those available at the time - and uses 2 x AA so spares no problem.

But for gradients, accurate elevations (and knowing which way you are facing when standing still) the Vista is better. Bought the OH one recently.

I plot a track on bikehike, reduce it to 500 points, transfer it to the Legend or the Vista, and we're away. Can download and analyse the data from the card on return.

But eTrex is big & bulky. If you don't need the mapping, the Edge may be better for you.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

rh100 said:
When you say you want to track cycle routes, do you mean you to follow a preset route or do you want to record your route as you go along?

If you just want to record data, route/speed/gradient etc, I use a phone with GPS built in and the Sportypal software, at the end of the route it uploads and you log into the site to see maps and statistics etc, it's free to use aswell.

Beware though, I've found using GPS on the phone is a battery killer, so not too good if you need the phone in an emergency ;)

hi i would really like to do both:tongue: I have a blackberry phone dont suppose you know if their is any application i can download for it?

thanks for the other recommendations i really fancy the garmin edge 705 i have lots of time so will shop around.

thanks again

stevepratt48

I use a Magellan explorist (600)
Nice & light, compact. Battery life is about 9 hrs, depending on how much you fiddle.....
I use Anquet maps as a basis, find them ideal. I used these to plot a recent Anglesey/Bath run.
The only downside I can see is that 'it' decides which waypoints to use (I selected waypoints that followed the road, highlighting turnoffs) and then points a straight line to the next one! Very frustrating, but it does give a good indicator as to whether you are heading the right way!
I've used it for shorter runs, (Bristol to Bath) and it followed my plotted track precisely - trouble is, don't know at what point it freaks out.
Whatever model you choose, focus on battery life, all mfrs lie, charger weights vary, spare batts are expensive.....
Good luck

iendicott

If you want a Garmin 705 with Heartrate monitor and Cadence Sensor I would recomend this firm www.handtec.co.uk

This is the package I am looking at getting.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/905/garmin-edge-705-heart-rate-monitor---speed-cadence

By far the cheapest place I have seen on the net and it's only 5 miles from where I live so I can cut out postage. Have already had a Garmin 405cx watch off them for the wife and it was at least £50 than alot of places and the cheapest I could find it for.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
iendicott said:
This is the package I am looking at getting.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/905/garmin-edge-705-heart-rate-monitor---speed-cadence

By far the cheapest place I have seen on the net and it's only 5 miles from where I live so I can cut out postage.

Do note that this package does not include mapping (well there is the basemap on the Garmin but it really is useless). You'll need to add mapping from the bottom of that page to get the most out of it - £29.26 for UK & Ireland mapping or £59.93 for Europe mapping. So pricing is then £299.10 or £329.77. Still a good price, I paid the latter on Wiggle with Europe mapping but that was when they had 20% off, it's normally more than that.

i've always preferred the handhelds like the vista hcx, mainly because i also do a lot of walking and i've got no interest in heart rate and cadence. i've recently upgraded to an oregon mainly so that i can see the screen without glasses! now that i've got used to it i think it's considerably better than a vista and far easier to set up and use.
i attached a link to a few screen grabs from a recent off road ride of the trip computer page, or one of them, and the mapping which is a free download based on openstreetmap, which has contours and autorouting built in..

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/piedwagtail91/ScreenGrabs#

there's quite a bit of gps stuff at this next link, most cycling and free mapping related.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=63.0

Martok said:
Do note that this package does not include mapping (well there is the basemap on the Garmin but it really is useless). You'll need to add mapping from the bottom of that page to get the most out of it - £29.26 for UK & Ireland mapping or £59.93 for Europe mapping. So pricing is then £299.10 or £329.77. Still a good price, I paid the latter on Wiggle with Europe mapping but that was when they had 20% off, it's normally more than that.
I cant recall how good it is but a mate downloaded Open Streetmap for his etrex for nowt :smile:

Top Bottom